• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kinchley's Tavern

Jason Perlow

Kinchley's Tavern

586 N Franklin Tpke, Ramsey, NJ

(201) 934-7777

I know Kinchley's is mentioned in many threads about pizza in the NJ forum, but it doesn't have its own thread. That's now going to be remedied.

gallery_2_4_6869.jpg

The main entrance and signage at Kinchley's.

gallery_2_4_22256.jpg

The main dining room at about 9:30PM on Friday. Come two and a half hours earlier, the place will be packed and you'll have to wait in the bar for a seat. Note to late nite diners: Kinchleys is open to 1AM on Fridays.

gallery_2_4_54149.jpg

The salad is actually quite good.

gallery_2_4_92261.jpg

Bacon pie with Fra Diavolo sauce. One of our favorite combinations. Kinchley's pies are "bar pies", meaning that they are only about 12 inches in width, so two people can finish one very easily. Order two pies and take half home, or eat it all there, if you're really hungry. Get yourself a pitcher of Boylan's Birch Beer to chill off the spicy sauce.

gallery_2_4_20640.jpg

Close-Up of bacon slice. Note the crispy, ultra thin crust.

gallery_2_4_60652.jpg

The pie disappears rather quickly so you want to make sure you have another order in the queue.

gallery_2_4_27108.jpg

Sausage pie, with razor-thin cut crispy sausage.

Kinchley's also has really good hot subs -- we shared a meatball sub as well that we deemed as excellent.

Kinchley's also has a full bar, which apparently no longer smells smoky due to the fact that New Jersey passed its no smoking legislation last month. So if you've been staying away from bar-type atmospheres because of the smoke, fear not — Kinchey's is smoke-free. The bar is totally aired out and there isn't any smoke smell anymore. What remains of Kinchley's smoker cuture is a giant ash tray that's sitting outside the side entrance, filled with cigaratte butts, as a reminder to those who are intent on smoking inside.

Kinchley's is Cash Only but there is an ATM onsite.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The last time previous to last night we were there, we had to wait about 30 minutes at the bar, and the old guy sitting next to Jason was basically a chimney, non-stop chain smoker. We asked the bartender and the waitress how the smoking ban has effected business, both say it is as good or better. The smoking drinkers have been replaced by more after softball or other sport players and families who stayed away because of its previous smokiness.

I enjoyed the pizza at Kinchley's very much. For those looking for a reference point, the crust is similar to that at Lento's in Brooklyn -- really bordering on cracker texture, in a good way. Some of the toppings were very good, especially that sausage and the spicy tomato sauce. The cheese is unremarkable.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've never been to Lento's but I would say the crust is similiar to OTTO in Manhattan.

As to the cheese... its pizza cheese. But there's certainly nothing wrong with that given the genre of pie that it is.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I've never been to Lento's but I would say the crust is similiar to OTTO in Manhattan.

can't agree with you there. i've been to Otto perhaps 20 times over the last 4 years or so since it's first opened, and i don't see a comparison. quite frankly i prefer kinchely's crust to Otto's, although i'm sure they put much less thought into than mario and co. have.

can't agree with you there. i've been to Otto perhaps 20 times over the last 4 years or so since it's first opened, and i don't see a comparison. quite frankly i prefer kinchely's crust to Otto's, although i'm sure they put much less thought into than mario and co. have.

I've personally been to OTTO twice, so I can't say I have a huge frame of reference either.

What we did with the leftover pizza this morning:

gallery_2_4_107222.jpg

Yes, it was mighty tasty.

• 2 months later...

Certainly, its more than 15 percent. Final tally with with exactly 15 percent added would have been $52.30 so the server must have been decent.

I generally tip anywhere between 15 and 20 percent depending on the performance of the server.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)