• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tintol

Sneakeater

The staff there is very knowledgable about the wines on offer and are more than happy to assist you in your selection if you tell them what kind of thing you like in general.

Thanks Sneakeater. I suspected that was the case, but hoped to go in with some prior knowledge anyway.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

As Sneakeater noted, the staff will definitely help you out. If you're not hell-bent on getting red, there are some really nice Portuguese (and Spanish) "green" wines that go well with a really wide range of food...sort of in the same vein as the Txakoli that goes with everything in Basque country tapas joints.

I just started a new topic in the wine forum asking for help but thought some of you who have been might have suggestions as well.

I'm going to Tintol tonight. As someone who doesn't know very much about wine, that wine list is a little intimidating. What did you drink? What should I look for?

Thanks for any help you can give!

• 2 months later...

i guess i'll be the voice of dissension. recently had what i can only describe as a not-good to horrible meal here.

* the grilled octopus was fine.

* the grilled lamb loin was OK. too large. i'd prefer a smaller portion for a tapas-like meal.

* the fried deviled eggs were largely tasteless and could have used a salty element. any salty element.

* the pork belly was sent out cold. and then re-sent out not much less cold. this should melt in your mouth. it didn't.

* clams were tough and chewy

* the lamb meatballs had a tough, unpleasant consistency and were only saved by the smoked pork product in the sauce.

* the barstools are very uncomfortable.

* the pours of wine are rather skimpy, even considering the price.

the bartender was the only saving grace (along with the bill, which wasn't quite as much as I expected). she was swamped but serviced us just fine, and seemed to know a bit about the many wines-by-the-glass.

won't be returning.

edited because i shouldn't try to put thoughts into words before 2 coffees.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 4 months later...

My wife and I had dinner last evening prior to seeing Frost vs. Nixon (outstanding play - I predict Tonys for the play and Langella).

Thought the food was very good. Only disappointment was the fried eggs. The concept is fine, but the eggs were very bland - they need to be "kicked up a notch."

The olives, grilled octopus, cod fritters, lamb meatballs and cheese plate were very tasty and satisfying. Excellent bread.

One strange thing - I had to order three bottles of wine before they found one in stock. The staff should know in advance which wines are unavailable.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!