• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Romeo and Helmand

OwnReward

The excessively perky one from the Food Newtwork had a segment on Boston recently (?) and noted Cafe Romeo and Helmand as notable places for Mexican and Afgani food (respectively)...

Does anyone have commentary on the two places?

Also commented upon were Elephant Walk, Uni, Sunset Grill, King Fung (sp?) and a couple places near the Garden and Fenway...

Karen

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

Didn't catch the show, but I can comment on the few places you mentioned:

The Helmand has really good Afghani food and is a local favorite.

Elephant Walk (at least the one in Cambridge) is dreadful. Neither the French nor the Cambodian dishes are flavorful, well executed, or even tasty.

Uni is lovely. The sushi chef turns out innovative creations. (At a price, of course!) Clio - the restaurant it's housed in - isn't too shabby either.

I feel as though Sunset Grill is a college hangout in Allston. I've had some of their snacks at the Extreme Beer fest, and they weren't bad.

King Fung Garden is an awesome little hole in the wall in Chinatown. It's housed in an old pizza parlor and turns out lovely Peking duck, scallion pancakes, and noodle dishes.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Didn't catch the show, but I can comment on the few places you mentioned:

The Helmand has really good Afghani food and is a local favorite.

I agree; I had a very nice meal there about a month ago. The menu is quite extensive and the ambience in the restaurant is elegant and comfortable. They also offer wine. I can't remember all that we ate, but there was a very good Aushak (sic) as one of the appetizers, spiced and slightly sweet pumpkin as a sidedish and I had a flavorful lamb stew. They have a sister restaurant by the same name in San Francisco which is also very good.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I agree that Helmand is delicious.

I have also had many great meals at the Elephant Walk, but mostly the one in Boston. Although I think the quality of service has declined in the last year or so.

Sunset is a college-place, but they do have a HUGE beer list and the food is pretty good.

Casa Romero has good Mexican food, at least good for Boston. Romantic atmosphere. The best Mexican in my opinion is from El Pelon Taqueria near Fenway.

Edited by elicious (log)

Helmand is a great place to eat, though comfortable, somewhat lacking atmosphere. Delicious and affordable. Order anything with pumpkin! Out of the way, if you don't know that particular corner of Cambridge.

Once upon a time I used to love Elephant Walk, especially the Cambodian soups. It's been a while, but my last couple of visits were unremarkable and overpriced.