• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ohmy-kase

ulterior epicure

One of the most transcendent sushi eating experiences I've had on this continent was at Sushi Yasuda. My date and I sat down at the blond-wood sushi bar where we put ourselves in Master Yasuda hands. We weren't disappointed. He personally stood before us our entire meal and prepared his choice cuts of his choice fish and other aquatic creatures just for us... presenting them simply as nigiri or in simple rolls on banana leaves. Everything was either pre-seasoned to his taste or accompanied with his instructions on how much soy and wasabi to add. I think the world slipped away from my periphery during that two-and-a-half-hour escape to ecstasy.

I just recently finished Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires wherein she describes a similar experience at Kuruma Zushi.

I would love to know if:

1. Kuruma Zushi still provides that same kind of treatment for diners who are willing to put themselves in the Master's hands?

2. Any other NYC sushi joints that can offer this level of service and quality.

3. Price points for any/all of the establishments suggested (I know it's hard to gauge - dependent mostly on the products, but as best as you can estimate).

Thanks!

U.E.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I would love to know if:

1. Kuruma Zushi still provides that same kind of treatment for diners who are willing to put themselves in the Master's hands?

Yes. But I personally like Yasuda better. At Karuma (at least in my one experience there), it was much more about just the fish and less about the whole package (the accompanying soy and wasabi, etc.), which is what impressed both you and me so much about Yasuda.

3. Price points for any/all of the establishments suggested (I know it's hard to gauge - dependent mostly on the products, but as best as you can estimate).

I found Karuma to be about one-third more expensive than Yasuda.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

If you haven't already, check out this thread.. Both are great. My preference was for Yasuda. It had more bang for the buck, although Kuruma gives a greater sense of an "inner sanctum" sort of experience.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If you haven't already, check out this thread.. Both are great. My preference was for Yasuda. It had more bang for the buck, although Kuruma gives a greater sense of an "inner sanctum" sort of experience.

Wow! The conversations that have gone on eGullet never cease to amaze me... is there anything members haven't covered? :wub:

Thanks Doc!

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

One thing that's great about Karuma is the way all the chefs shout at each customer as they walk in. (I suppose that's some kind of sushi bar tradition.)

Another notable thing is that, on the basis of overheard conversations, the night I was there I was the only non-Asian male sitting at the counter who is not a hedge-fund manager.

One thing that's great about Karuma is the way all the chefs shout at each customer as they walk in.  (I suppose that's some kind of sushi bar tradition.)

Another notable thing is that, on the basis of overheard conversations, the night I was there I was the only non-Asian male sitting at the counter who is not a hedge-fund manager.

It certainly helps to be one at Kuruma :wink::laugh:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

It certainly helps to be one at Kuruma :wink:  :laugh:

Which? Asian? Hedge-fund manager? Both? :unsure::laugh:

U.E.

[edited to add: I'm assuming that since no one else has voiced a suggestion other than Yasuda and Kuruma that these are hands down the best in NYC for this type of experience. Or am I assuming too much?]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

It certainly helps to be one at Kuruma :wink:  :laugh:

Which? Asian? Hedge-fund manager? Both? :unsure::laugh:

U.E.

[edited to add: I'm assuming that since no one else has voiced a suggestion other than Yasuda and Kuruma that these are hands down the best in NYC for this type of experience. Or am I assuming too much?]

While it almost certainly doesn't hurt to be Japanese at Kuruma, I can't say that my meal suffered in any way as a result of not being Japanese or Asian. My wallet, on the other hand was considerably lighter after the fact! :laugh:

My experience with NYC sushi restaurants is not terribly extensive, but these two were for me transcendant :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

One thing that's great about Karuma is the way all the chefs shout at each customer as they walk in.  (I suppose that's some kind of sushi bar tradition.)

IRASSHAIMASE! It's not just a sushi bar thing, it's a Japanese restaurant thing. Just so happens that at a sushi bar that you open the door and you are facing 2-3 sushi chefs.

O-MA-KA-SAY with no emphasis.

I just say omakase onegaishimasu, but my accent can approach a native while my vocabulary cannot...

I wrote a lot about the intracacies of the omakase here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=79444&st=34#

http://www.sugiyama-nyc.com/

Sugiyama was my epiphany. I have been back 4 times - of those 4 only 1 didn't elevate me (it may have been the company :blink: ). It's a understated restaurant - not overly designed. One of his signature dishes is monk fish liver with quail egg, which you mix and then drink. His miso soup is so fragrant. The cuts of his fish - the progression of the dishes - his meals are wonderfully choreographed. My last meal was during the Japanese New Year - I did the chef's omakase - he presented some many new dishes. I have walked out of his restaurant 2 feet off the ground. I'm waiting for the right reason to go back.