• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piri-piri

I've been doing a lot of Portuguese cooking lately, and the famous chili sauce, piri-piri, seems to be compatible with virtually everything. I'd like to make the stuff, but it seems that every recipe I can find is quite different; some include olive oil, others just vinegar; some use fresh chilis, others dried. I'm quite surprised by the wide variation in recipes, and am not sure where to start, nor which is the "real" piri-piri. Can anybody out there with knowlege of Portuguese food tell me how to make the real piri-piri that is found in restaurants and homes in Portugal?

(Cross-posted at the Cooking forum).

Thanks!

Austin

I've been doing a lot of Portuguese cooking lately, and the famous chili sauce, piri-piri, seems to be compatible with virtually everything. I'd like to make the stuff, but it seems that every recipe I can find is quite different; some include olive oil, others just vinegar; some use fresh chilis, others dried. I'm quite surprised by the wide variation in recipes, and am not sure where to start, nor which is the "real" piri-piri.  Can anybody out there with knowlege of Portuguese food tell me how to make the real piri-piri that is found in restaurants and homes in Portugal?

(Cross-posted at the Cooking forum).

Thanks!

Austin

Piri-piri is made with dried chilies and olive oil.

You have to put red chilies in a glass bottle, and cover them with olive oil ( extra virgin ).

Close the bottle, and wait at least 3 months.

PauloR: Your version sounds a lot like the Italian olio santo!  I'm assuming one needs to crush/blend the chillies before adding them to the oil, and they're consumed along with the oil?  How about the addition of vinegar?

Austin

There are some places where they make piri piri with olive oil and vinegar.

Others make piri-piri with chilies and Scotch Whisky.

But I tink in most places, they make it with crush dried chilies and olive oil.

The chilies used are small red chilies from Angola ( Africa ).

You have to mix 1 part chilies with 3 parts olive oil.

there's a recipe in my Portuguese cookery book but i can't get to it at the moment. i remember it does sound easy enough to make from scratch at home. will taste the real thing for myself when i go to Portugal to eat and drink next christmas-new year. i wouldn't be surprised if every housewife or restaurant makes their own version.

saudadessssssssss

The key, of course, is the 'right' red chilies. The Capsicum family is a large one, and a guindilla, a jalapeño, an habanero, a Padrón, an ají amarillo, a rózsa páprika have little in common... So indeed the small, red Angola pepper (resembles a chile piquín in size and shape) is crucial.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Piri-Piri is one of my favorite all-purpose sauces. I have also noted that there is a large variation in the recipes to be found. Most differ as to the type of chiles to be used and the inclusion or exclusion of certain vegetables such as onions and tomatoes.

The recipe that I have been using for years is nearly identical to this one offered on David Leite's web site. For the chiles, I use piquins. I vary only in that I allow the sauce to age at least two weeks before straining and serving.

IMO, this recipe is about as close as you are going to get tto the traditional recipe. But, as mentioned by BonVivantNL, you'll no doubt find a multitude of variations on the tables of every house and restaurant in Portugal.

When I was in Portugal, whenever I had Piri-Piri it was made with just olive oil and crushed hot pepper. My wife is Portuguese and her family makes it the same way, although sometimes they put whole small red chilis instead of crushed. However, when I make it I follow this other Piri-Piri recipe from David Leite's site. I don't know if it's authentic, but it sure is good.

I'm wondering if there isn't any recipe for a Piri-Piri made with just vinegar?

Or is that just Molho Picante (Hot Sauce) and not real Piri?

No Piri-Piri is just olive oil, and chilies.

There are some hot sauces, with vinegar, but most of them are "tabasco" copies.

In some places of Portugal, some people make a sauce with olive oil, vinegar, garlic, chilies and salt.

This sauce is used with grilled meat.

Thanks for all your help; I'll be making meself a piri-piri right soon. I live in Thailand so there's no shortage of chilies (I'm assuming I should use the smallest ones I can get?). What kind of dishes would the Portuguese use piri-piri on?

If you make piri-piri with Thai chillies, I suggest you don't use the smallest kind (phrik khii nuu) because of their distinctive flavor. Use the red kind, one size above. I forgot their name but they are much like the all-purpose ones used in Vietnam. I think they are the closest to the small red chillies for piri-piri I've seen in Algarve.

Thanks for all your help; I'll be making meself a piri-piri right soon. I live in Thailand so there's no shortage of chilies (I'm assuming I should use the smallest ones I can get?). What kind of dishes would the Portuguese use piri-piri on?

Austin

Piri-piri is most used with grilled chicken.

It also works well with grilled meat, or grilled shrimps.

• 2 weeks later...

If you make piri-piri with Thai chillies, I suggest you don't use the smallest kind (phrik khii nuu) because of their distinctive flavor. Use the red kind, one size above. I forgot their name but they are much like the all-purpose ones used in Vietnam. I think they are the closest to the small red chillies for piri-piri I've seen in Algarve.

Bird's eye chillies?