• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meritage

Rebel Rose

BusinessWire Press Release:

--"Meritage," often mispronounced and occasionally misunderstood, will soon find its place in Webster's Third New International Dictionary if the Meritage Association has its way.

In a letter sent to Dr. Frederick C. Mish, editor-in-chief of Merriam-Webster, Rodeno and Weinstock noted that since it was coined in 1988, the word "Meritage" has "taken on a life of its own."

"There are restaurants, financial firms, housing developments, apartment complexes, hospitality groups, media conglomerates, vacation rentals, photographers, catering firms -- even a car wash -- that carry the name 'Meritage,'" she said.

What do you think? Has the term 'meritage' earned the same conversational status as say, 'Kleenex' and 'Tupperware'?

I got a chuckle out of this part:

"Meritage" rhymes with the word "heritage," but more often than not is mispronounced to rhyme with "garage."

"One major benefit to having the word published in the dictionary is that more people would finally learn how to pronounce it correctly," Weinstock said.

:hmmm:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

The article mentions Neil Edgar, who won the naming contest by coming up with the word "Meritage". Some interesting trivia about Mr. Edgar is that his prize is one bottle of each Meritage-branded wine, for the first ten vintages. I hope he really likes Bordeaux blends!

"Meritage" rhymes with the word "heritage," but more often than not is mispronounced to rhyme with "garage."

Well, you learn something new every day. I'm glad I never tried to order one in a restaurant!

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch