• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robata in KC

moosnsqrl

I was given a business card for a restaurant that is probably a month or two from opening. To be located at 1617 Main, it is called Nara and the cuisine is described as "neojapanese + robata."

The card thoughtfully explains that Japanese Robata is:

". . . traditional method of open-flame grilling . . . rooted in the fishing villages of rural Japan. Robata-yaki at Nara combines these historic methods with contemporary flavors for an extraordinary Far Eastern fare."

Terry Barkley will be the chef. There is a website listed but it is under construction at present.

This one has flown under my radar until now. Does anyone else have any info?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

This one has flown under my radar until now.  Does anyone else have any info?

no... haven't heard - but i'm cautiously excited - kansas city needs some injection of solid japanese food, imho. robata - that's my kind of grillin'! :raz:

moosnsqrl and others - please keep us informed!! what's the website so that i can keep an eye out on it?

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

This one has flown under my radar until now.  Does anyone else have any info?

no... haven't heard - but i'm cautiously excited - kansas city needs some injection of solid japanese food, imho. robata - that's my kind of grillin'! :raz:

moosnsqrl and others - please keep us informed!! what's the website so that i can keep an eye out on it?

u.e.

www.narakc.com

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...
Bumping.  Any new word on this?  Website's not linking to anything useful

I did a drive-by last week and there is signage but as it's (I think) going to be upstairs, rather than street-level, my usual snooping skills were of little use.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

Just went for a stroll and stopped by nara. There wasn't anyone there who appeared to be related to the restaurant, rather construction types, running loud power tools, so I didn't bother them. I was able to see entryway (street level) as well as upstairs and down. Still not evident if they'll be in the up- or downstairs but whichever I'd guess they're at least another month out, barring 24/7 work shifts.

M.F.K. Fisher

Just went for a stroll and stopped by nara.  There wasn't anyone there who appeared to be related to the restaurant, rather construction types, running loud power tools, so I didn't bother them.  I was able to see entryway (street level) as well as upstairs and down.  Still not evident if they'll be in the up- or downstairs but whichever I'd guess they're at least another month out, barring 24/7 work shifts.

For decent robata, I could wait a month... or two... especially while I'm not in K.C.... :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 3 weeks later...
Just went for a stroll and stopped by nara.  There wasn't anyone there who appeared to be related to the restaurant, rather construction types, running loud power tools, so I didn't bother them.  I was able to see entryway (street level) as well as upstairs and down.  Still not evident if they'll be in the up- or downstairs but whichever I'd guess they're at least another month out, barring 24/7 work shifts.

For decent robata, I could wait a month... or two... especially while I'm not in K.C.... :raz:

u.e.

I know it's not quite been a month... okay, barely half a month... but anyone have any updates for us on the progress at the future Robata?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

jgm and I did a drive-by of Robata a couple of weeks ago and it still looks like it has a way to go prior to opening. I noticed that they posted a job opening earlier this week for a cook, so that's usually a positive sign.

Chef (to-be) Terry Barkley taught a class in the art of Robata at the Culinary Center of KC, but sadly I don't see another on the schedule at least through August.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 month later...

Update on Nara: it was to open with a charity event August 8 but I just noticed it's been postponed to August 22.

The last time I peered through the window it looked like they still had a lot of work to do but I've opened restaurants and it always looks like mission impossible until the day comes when, miraculously, it happens. I noticed they have a little more info on their website than has been there for the past few months but the "contact us" email (info@) still bounces back undeliverable. The chef's name is Terry Barkley and there's a brief bio on him on the Harvesters event site (linked in first paragraph).

M.F.K. Fisher

Looks like an exciting event! I'm especially interested in seeing how authentic their robata will be. Anyone going to this Harvester's event? Unfortunately, I'll be outta town... look forward to reports. Hint. Hint.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Looks like an exciting event!  I'm especially interested in seeing how authentic their robata will be.  Anyone going to this Harvester's event?  Unfortunately, I'll be outta town... look forward to reports.  Hint. Hint. 

u.e.

I've heard they have brought in a few people from the old Japango on the plaza, could be interesting. Going any place interesting to eat U.E.?

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping.

I realized that the Harversters benefit was supposed to have been Tuesday so I did a little follow-up and the event was cancelled. The nara website still indicates it is "coming soon" so it appears they're having some additional delays.

Anyone have any insight? Maybe they're just waiting for UE to return? :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

Anyone have any insight? Maybe they're just waiting for UE to return? :laugh:

Actually Judy, it's funny you wrote that... I got back Monday and had planned to go to the Nara event - until I got a last minute cancellation email. Email? :huh: Yeah, email.

Well, the word on the street is that Harvesters pulled out because Nara had trouble getting all of their licenses in order... But, I don't know for sure.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

:wink: So, yesterday was the grand opening of nara, neo-japanese robata grill at 1617 main street in downton KC. It's sexy, it's trendy and it's hip-hop-hoppin'.

I really am impressed with what they've done with the place. It sits, kinda lonely, on that stretch of Main Street. But, I have NO DOUBT that the area will soon crowd with other like-minded joints.

It's a owned by Casey Adams (sp?), son of the local car dealer, Ray Adams. The chef is Terry Barkley (sp?) - supposedly a vet of area restaurants from ages past and country clubs. Would love to know more about his "pedigree."

I was there with a good friend and her "hens." Fun crowd - the type that would eat up the scene (no pun intended). We tried a number of things - from the small plates, salads, entrees and desserts. We also ordered a couple of items from the sushi bar cum robata grill.

The theme is Japanese - tres nouveau. A quick glance at the menu sufficiently indicated that someone has done their homework on the Japanese cuisine. But, it's also obvious that someone has gone to some rather far-fetched extremes in "fusion."

For instance, there's "Nara Gravlax:" "soy-ginger jalepeno cilatro cured, wild mushroom chopsticks, grilled shiitake slaw, wasabi sweet soy, mustard drizzle." ($9). Or, try the "Creamy wasabi" - described as "ranch with wasabi." From the robata menu, you could order grilled "Asian mozzerella" and tomato pesto or Ebi (sweet shrimp) marinated in a chipotle cilantro mix. Oh, I can't forget Grilled KC Polish Hill Wasabi Soy Sausage. :blink: I didn't try it, but I'll be curious from people who do!

Prices are actually reasonable. nara seems to be going for the in-the-know eating crowd in one sense: they're sourcing some pretty nice products. Berkshire pork and beef, Kobe (or, I suspect, Wagyu), and fresh fish - very fresh. They say they are going to be getting them straight from a supplier out of Honolulu.

The most expensive thing on the menu I saw was Kobe filet (I think it was 4oz.) for $32. Besides that and Miso Crusted Diver Scallops, which I coveted, at $22, all the other entrees were in the lower to mid-teens. Everything else on the menu was cheaper:

Starters, or "small plates" were between $6 and $10... maybe a couple of $12 - like the Kobe "sashimi." There are the obligatory Asian items like Gyoza, spring rolls, and Miso Soup (except they spice it up with tahini).

Sandwiches (and a wrap, which I found interesting) were in the $8-13 range. These come with your choice of fries, rice or something else. Can someone enlighten me as to what "Auro Pro Soy Burger" might be all about? I've never heard of it...

Salads were pretty much all $10, except the House Salad which varies depending on what you put in it. There was a considerable number of dressings.

The robata grill, which I briefly peeked at when I checked out the sushi bar, was glowing hot. They say they use real Japanese birchwood coals. They've got your run-of-the mill Yakitori (chicken and teriyaki) to grilled scallops. Prices ranged from $5-$15.

The noodle list "read" pretty Asian ($10ish). I didn't try any of these. Chicken, beef, and a vegetarian option, I think. Maybe something with seafood (shrimp?) and a BBQ one... (maybe it's Asian BBQ?). I did see one of the gals with a bowl of the "Pork Meatball Egg Noodles" - but all I could see were noodles.

I tried the Steamed P.E.I. Mussels (starter). They came steaming in a bowl with lobster broth, lime miso lemongrass, Thai basil and terribly piquant wasabi rice crackers as a garnish. The broth was very buttery, but very good. ($10). I also stuck with the straight-and-narrow tuna tataki (starter). The fish seemed very fresh, ruby red tuna. It was drizzled with three or four different sauces. I couldn't tell one from another - except the yellow one, which was very much mustard, of some sort. ($12).

Friend had scallops from the robata - not bad. These were big diver scallops (I saw three on the plate, but by the time they made it to me, there was just a tiny half-morsel :hmmm: ) dusted in some unpronouncable spice mixture - Schichimi, or something like that. Never heard of it - unless it was a misspelling? Or it was just too loud to hear correctly?

Among the hens, I also saw a very nicely grilled filet of salmon (salmon) - still a little raw-looking in the middle. And, another ordered the miso-covered scallops - which were just as big as the robata divers, but these were layered, nay, caked, with a thick layer of yellow miso paste.

Sushi: Rolls tended to be kind of ugly and bland. One friend had the signature Octagon roll - I'm not exactly sure what was in it, but I know one component was was diced octopus in a LOT of mayonnaise. I think there was a cream cheese involved. Sashimi was very beautiful, but sort of middle-of-the-road. Their nigiri selection is sort of limited, but they say it's to focus on quality. I can't say the fish was not fresh, but it wasn't as good as it looked. :sad: I didn't get a good look at the sushi price list, but I think most nigiri were in the $2.50-$3.75 range. Rolls were between $6-$12 (maybe $15?) range.

I did get to taste a bit of another girl's Sukiyaki. It was sweet, but not too much. There was slivers of Kobe beef in it. They looked dry. It also came with a bunch of different Asian veggies - Chinese cabbage, lotus root and shiitake mushrooms. There were also two types of noodles. ($16, if I remember correctly).

What else? Let's see... Katie Nell, just for you:

Dessert. Short and sweet. Four options. We tried them all. There was a Chai panna cotta - spiked with curry ($6) - served in a martini glass with blueberries. There was sorbet sampler, which I didn't order ($7) or try. The hens had pecked up what little was apparently there. Flavors did include passionfruit-mango, blueberry (I think?) and rose. Ginger pear yuzu cheesecake ($6). This was a pretty plate of three tiny half-circle cuts of cheesecake. I don't like cheesecake, and I didn't like this one. The only thing I did like were the soft dices of pear embedded in the cheese cake. I don't recall getting any ginger, though. It also came with a whipped cream infused with cinnamon - I didn't get that taste either... Lastly, there were C. Elbow's chocolate truffles. For more than double the price at his shop, you get three truffles ($10). :hmmm:

They gave us Elbow's Caramel Fleur de Sel (one of my favorites), a Venezuelan Dark (another favorite), and their signature "Nara Yuzu" truffle - the only thing that might justify ordering this dessert. This square chocolate had nara's logo painted on it. The inside was a tart yuzu-infused milk chocolate ganache. To my understanding, Elbow makes this truffle exclusively for nara (notwithstanding the special labeling).

The drinks menu is quite extensive. I had a fun time reading the sake list. Between tiny sips of the hens, I got to try a number of them, but I can't even begin to tell you what they were - nor could they...

Would I go back? Yeah, probably. The price point was pretty amazing, considering what you get. Mind you (and I should remind myself), this was their first night, so I can certainly over-look some of the service issues - like the 20 minute wait between our starters and our mains. Then desserts were dropped almost at the same time we ordered. The servers were all very young and hip - a little clumsy with the menu knowledge (but it is a very extensive menu, with a lot of unlikely spices and ingredients) - but very friendly.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 3 months later...

The proverbial grapevine squeezed out this bit of juice: Terry Barkley, the EC who helped create, design and opened the menu at Nara is now former...

Not confirmed as to whether the departure was voluntary, a release due to Chapin's review or other circumstances... or a combination thereof. I wish Chef Barkley the best and hope that the parting was amicable.

I wonder what will become of nara, its menu and its food?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The proverbial grapevine squeezed out this bit of juice: Terry Barkley, the EC who helped create, design and opened the menu at Nara is now former... 

Not confirmed as to whether the departure was voluntary, a release due to Chapin's review or other circumstances... or a combination thereof.  I wish Chef Barkley the best and hope that the parting was amicable.

I wonder what will become of nara, its menu and its food?

That was in Charles Ferruzza's random notes in My Big Fat Mouth (see last week's digest for the link; I seem to have rendered my computer incapable of cutting/pasting, somehow :sad:).

M.F.K. Fisher