• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gianfranco Bovio

wkl

A local merchant is offering Gianfranco Bovio Barolo Gattera 1997. I know little about this producer and am wondering if anyone has experience with the wine.

It's imported by Robert Chadderdon, which I take as a good sign, although I am little skeptical of a 1997 Barolo just showing up on a retailers shelf. This is 3 or 4 vintages behind current Barolo releases, unless Bovio releases late.

Thanks in advance.

An amazing quantity of top quality Barolo and Barbaresco shows up in close-out bins across the country. I guess the buyers read The Wine Spectator hype then bite off more than they can chew. Good for us, bad for them.

While I am not a fan of the 97's in general, this should be an excellent wine that is already drinking well, as the hot 97 vintage made for early maturing wines. The big issue here is, as always, is how the wines have been stored as this wine probably came to the US in 2000 or so. If stored well it should be a very nice bottle, but I would be concerned that it has been sitting in some wine wholesalers warehouse for years. See if the retailer can tell you about where this wine as been.