• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlotte aux Poires

I used to have a recipe for this wonderful french dessert straight out of my Le Cordon Bleu student book, but unfortunately, I don't have it with me to refer to.

I'd like to make it for an upcoming friend's birthday cake. Does anyone have a recipe to post? Thanks!

Thanks GG!

I actually linked onto that recipe when I did a search on the net before inquiring on eG. Unfortunately, that's not the version of Charlotte aux Poires I'm looking for. (I should have been more specific) The version I'm interested in involves pureed and diced poached pears folded into a bavaroise base. If anyone has any ideas, please post. Thanks!

Yes MD! That is exactly the kind of charlotte I'm after, minus the fig but leave it to Monsieur Herme to to step this classic dessert up a notch. Would you mind posting the recipe (under eG copyright restrictions of course) for ingredient quantities. I could pretty much figure out how it's put together. Thank you!! :biggrin:

my pleasure! would you be kind enough to let us all know how this recipe turns out?

PEARS:

2 29-oz cans pear halves packed in syrup

2 cups water

1 cup sugar

2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 vanilla bean, seeded

- drain pears and set aside

- bring rest of ingredients to a boil and pour syrup over pears

- submerge pears and refrigerate overnight up to 3 days

POIRE WILLIAM CREAM:

7 oz (about 4) pear halves from above, pureed

3/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk

1/2 cup sugar

4 large egg yolks

2 tbsp Poire William

2 1/2 tbsp gelatin

1/4 cup cold water

1 cup heavy cream

- bring milk to a boil

- in separate pot, whisk sugar and yolks - temper with hot milk mixture

- back on heat and cook to creme anglaise consistency

- remove from heat and let stand 2 minutes

- strain and add Poire William

- bloom gelatin in cold water - stir into hot creme anglaise - cool over ice bath

- lightly whip cream and fold in creme anglaise

pierre herme dices the rest of the pears and layers it in his charlotte along with cubed figs.

Edited by MightyD (log)