• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1978 Lafite Rothschild

jeffperez62

Having one tomorrow with dinner and I'm wondering what to expect. Anyone out there drink anything similar lately?? I know we are having rack of lamb and some capon. What food would go best with a wine like this??

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Had a 78 Lafite last year and it was incredible. I drank it with an herb-marinated hangar steak. Honestly though, on it's own it was a transporting experience. Layered, rich-- it stopped me in my tracks.

I know this has not been a celebrated vintage, but my experience with it was profound.

Enjoy,

R

Drink maker, heart taker!

Unfortunately, my friend (soon to be ex-friend) decided not to bring the Lafite. We were on a "bachelors" ski getaway in New Hampshire and he thought that with all of the othe adult beverages we were enjoying, it would be better to save it for another day.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Had a 78 Lafite last year and it was incredible. ...  on it's own it was a transporting experience.  Layered, rich-- it stopped me in my tracks. 

I know this has not been a celebrated vintage ...

Good report, thanks.

By the way as a historical note, if 78 truly is not a celebrated vintage today, then that is at least relatively recent. It was loudly celebrated in the US, at least, when classified 78 Bordeaux came to market in 1981 -- for some years it was routinely touted as the leading Bordeaux vintage of its time, between 75 and the early-hyped 1982. The hype for 78 resembled that of a couple of recent Bordeaux vintages, such as 2000, minus the extent of futures frenzy that's come to that market lately.

The 78 Lafite tasted very promising to me in 1981 -- concentrated and well structured. That and Margaux were about the most impressive Bordeaux of that year that I tasted young. (Both retailed for about $50 in the US then, which was not cheap.)