• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nashville, TN

jrichman

Hello All - I'll be spending some time in Nashville over the next few weeks and was hoping for some recomendations on places to eat. I am mainly concerned with dinner, I would like to know some places to go in Nashville for some good local food as well as some good healthy food as well...any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We have a number of excellent dining threads here on all types of places to enjoy your Nashville stay ...

discussion #1

Chef Sean Brock of Capitol Grille, Nashville, highly innovative Southern fine dining

this article sold me!

discussion #2

Nashville - Classic Southern Cuisine, Above and beyond Meat and Three?

discussion #3

Need Your Help for Nashville, escapes from Opryland

discussion #4

Nashville 2005 Best of City Search

discussion #5

Visiting Nashville, Good and (Reasonable)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thank you very much for the links to these threads...I'll be sure to review them before my trip to Nashville.

We have a number of excellent dining threads here on all types of places to enjoy your Nashville stay ...

discussion #1

Chef Sean Brock of Capitol Grille, Nashville, highly innovative Southern fine dining

this article sold me!

discussion #2

Nashville - Classic Southern Cuisine, Above and beyond Meat and Three?

discussion #3

Need Your Help for Nashville, escapes from Opryland

discussion #4

Nashville 2005 Best of City Search

discussion #5

Visiting Nashville, Good and (Reasonable)

Thank you very much for the links to these threads...I'll be sure to review them before my trip to Nashville. 

The pleasure is all mine, jrichman! I hope that in reading them over that you will find things which are very much to your liking! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Great reading so far! I have forwarded this page to my brother who is going to Nashville in March for a conference (I think he will be staying downtown) and was wondering if it is a good idea for him to rent a car to go these places. I know the most important food for him to try will be BBQ. We just don't have the same quality in Toronto.

Also, what are the great bars and taverns with live music at night? He would love to go!

Thanks

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I was one of the people who posted one of the threads referenced so I thought I would let you know where we ended up. I should have reported on the same thread - sorry!

Midtown Cafe - great little place, great wine list, great staff!

Germantown Cafe - it was referenced in an issue of Bon Appetit. Also wonderful.

Restaurant Zola - loved it

Also went to a steak house, the name of which I cannot remember for the life of me. it is a person's name - a man. Jimmy something? It was pretty good - it is a "historic" place so that was half the fun. Oh yeah, and we saw Neil Young there too.

Good luck!

Jimmy Kelly's! that place has been around for a gazillion years. It is like every steak house in every semi-major city in the US. The food is very good--but not quite great--but at the same time nothing really spectacular just good & solid; the service is down right gushing and you wait so long for a table that no matter what they bring you it is appreciated. There is a signature item that when ever you mention the place people go, "Ah! the__________" in this case it is the "hoe cakes" or "Johnny cakes". The place is an institution and every one talks about it w/ reverence but, quite frankly, there is nothing that special about it except for the fact that it is an institution.

That might be a topic of discussion--steak houses around the South. Nashville has Jimmy Kelly's, Knoxville has Ye Olde Steak House, and Columbia's is the place in Lexington, KY. Bone's is Atlanta's answer (but a relative new comer when it comes right down to it).

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Great reading so far!  I have forwarded this page to my brother who is going to Nashville in March for a conference (I think he will be staying downtown) and was wondering if it is a good idea for him to rent a car to go these places.  I know the most important food for him to try will be BBQ.  We just don't have the same quality in Toronto.

Also, what are the great bars and taverns with live music at night?  He would love to go!

Thanks

Ben

Before responding to bars/taverns with live music -- what type of music does he like. We have a pretty varied selection of music venues here and, if I know his music choice, I'll be able to narrow the list down.

A really good bbq joint here in town is Judge Beans on 12th (I think...they just recently moved locations). However, it is TEXAS bbq -- not that there is anything wrong with Texas bbq. Their brisket tacos are a favorite of mine. And if he goes, tell him to get a side of the cowboy beans! They also have live country music on some nights. There's another great bbq dive that you can get to-go bbq. Their "dining room" consists of a screened in porch with 2 or 3 picnic tables. I'll try to remember the name and get back with you.

Karen