• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ExtraTasty

johnder

Interesting website I came across today, extratasty.

It seems to be a drink related social networking site as well as the start of a drink database.

Seems to still be under construction somewhat, but an interesting idea none the less.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

It is an interesting site, but a place where friend and cocktails come meet and mix, isn't that called a bar?

LOL, exactly! Maybe this is a place where you meet people who want to go to a bar with you?

Who knows.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Looks interesting but this is the first thing that came on my screen:

David's Perfect Martini

1 part Vodka

1 part Club soda

1 part Dry Vermouth

Ice

You'll need proper martini glasses and a proper shaker. For vodka, I strongly recommend Belvedere, Goose, Chopin or one of those more expensive brands. You _will_ taste the difference and you will like it. And one other thing: it will be tempting to use crushed ice, but I strongly suggest you make or buy ice cubes and crush them yourself with a hammer, for reasons that I hope will become obvious as you read on.

To begin: Crush some Ice and fill your martini glasses to the rim. Pour the Club Soda over the cracked ice, filling the glasses. Set aside.

Pour a couple ounces of Dry Vermouth into the shaker. Cover and swirl it around a bit. Pour out the Vermouth leaving a coating around the inside of the shaker. Lightly crush some more Ice and fill the shaker about 3/4 of the way. Pour in the ice-cold Vodka, covering the ice. Cap the shaker and shake violently. When you feel you've done it enough, do it some more. It's important that the shaking sliver the ice.

Oh god make it stop please.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Hey -- don't shoot the messenger. Thankfully it is not my site.

Lol

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Hey -- don't shoot the messenger.  Thankfully it is not my site.

Lol

Not shooting you John, although I may make you drink one of them martinis and to borrow a line from the recipe "You _will_ taste the difference and you will like it" very funny if you swap out the w's for v's and picture a heavyset German women saying it. All in good fun, Cheers. :smile::raz:

I know, I guess the laughing tone I was trying to imply with the "no shooting..." didn't come across to well. :biggrin:

At least it seems he doesn't want you to use club soda in the drink itself, just apparently to chill the glass. Maybe we should tell the folks at Pegu and Milk and Honey they have been doing it wrong all this time!

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Except online, "nobody knows your (real) name."

Ba-dum ching! :laugh:

ETA: Huh, interesting. Must be relatively new - I can't find a recipe for any kind of Manhattan (oh, wait, there is - but it's spelled Manhatten). Well, I can't find a correctly-spelled recipe for a Manhattan. :laugh:

Check THIS one out: The "I Can't Feel My Legs But I'll Have Another Glass."

Eeeew.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007