• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Granville bridge redevelopment

snacky_cat

About a month ago, the Sun featured a short article about the proposed redevlopment of the area under the north end of the Granville bridge. Since that's my new hood (and the Nu hood, for that matter), I had a closer look at the city's plans for it today and was totally delighted.

It looks like city planners are going to raze the ugly impound lot, maintain the existing heritage buildings, eliminate the westernmost on ramp, and turn the whole area into a little neighbourhood market zone.

You can read an older report on the city's ideas here, or skip directly to the awesome picture here. How cute it sthat? A little under-the-bridge high streets, with butchers and grocers and delis and cafés.

If this little area were yours to control, what would you put in there?

Me? I'd like to see a small supermarket - another Nester's would be great - and some speciality shops - a really great butcher and fishmonger, a good source for fresh veggies, maybe a couple of cafés, a bakery, a Steamrollers... It would be great if the area became one of the city's farmer's market locations too.

Any other ideas?

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I ride through there every day. Better bike lanes on the lower road by tartine (to keep this food related) and up to and along Pacific. A great deli/butcher where I could stop and pick up that days lunch would be awesome.

Edited by mtigges (log)

HSG BPE?

Bread Pudding Express? Get your fix under the bridge with the other ginger bread trolls?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The Olympic Village neighbourhood, and YVR RAV extension down Cambie are also going to redically change our dining landscape.

Grosvenor are building a large residential/retail tower just above the new Canadian Tire store at the foot of Cambie. Disclosure: Our partnership is just completing the Montreux mid-rise on West 2nd (but we've sold it); it's the first of the OV buidings, but there will be many more in the SE False Creek lands completed over the next decade.

There will be several eatertainment outdoor malls in the neighbourhood. At The Montreux, because its right across the street from the police station, we thought that Tim Horton's might be a natural, along the lines of 'Save a Cop, Shoot a Donut.'

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"