• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ora in Morristown, NJ

skinsey123

Anyone been to the new restaurant in Morristown- Ora? It received 3.5 stars from the Star Ledger today, and had what seemed to be reasonable prices for that kind of review (Entrees below $24). Perhaps its in the old South Street Trattoria building? I don't recall any other new restaurants opening on South Street, so don't know where else it could be.

Morristown seems to be booming with new restaurants, and the variety is wonderful. Its great to see this wonderful town getting such a foodie scene.

Morristown seems to be booming with new restaurants, and the variety is wonderful.  Its great to see this wonderful town getting such a foodie scene.

Gotta tell you, it ain't much of a scene. I'll be very happy if Ora is as good as the review you mentioned indicates. I've lived here for two years and have pretty much found Morristown to be a culinary wasteland. Exceptions are Origin Thai and Sushi Lounge (better than anything else at all nearby). I haven't been to Copeland.

I won't name names -- though I'd be more than happy to if asked -- but there are an awful lot of places out here that are crowded almost in spite of themselves. I can't for the life of me figure out how they manage to stay in business with the absolute minimal effort they seem to put into the food coming out of their kitchens.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

My brother went there with a large group (14 or so) 2 weeks ago and was not pleased with the prices, the service, or the food. I haven't been, but based on what he told me, I find it fascinating that they got such a good review. I'd be curious to hear if folks on eG think differently.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I went to Ora a few weeks ago with my wife and another couple (located in the old south street trattoria building).

The menu reads quite nice, with very tempting, properly "worded" menu listings. A fair number of appetizers, pastas and entrees. It seems as though they have changed their menu since my visit, so I won't be able to supply you with a complete description of my meal, but I'll let you know what my memory allows...

We were served a scallop with chanterelles for a canape. It had to be a U10 scallop. Enormous, a little sandy, and not that tasty.

I had a salad. It was actually the best thing I ate, and I can't remember what it was. My wife also had a goat cheese salad, with pickled fennel I believe, it wasn't bad, and a friend had an arugula salad with roasted beets, which she was going to leave out until I convinced her that fresh beets are delicious. Unfortuneately, these were undercooked which didn't help my cause, she wouldn't eat them. And the other friend at the table got parsley polenta, which was a very DARK pile of polenta that was not quite creamy and not quite firm. He seemed to like it.

I got a squid ink pasta, with calamari. The pasta was completely stuck together and overcooked, but the calamari was good, so that was all I ate. Our entrees were braised short ribs, which almost couldn't even be cut with a knife, a chicken dish with chanterelles which was deemed "good" a linguini and clams sauce, and I had a lamb dish, which was listed with cous cous and sweet corn (yes in november), but looked more like quinoa or bulger wheat, and I never saw or tasted anything that resembled corn. The meat was cooked perfectly though.

We did get some desserts which were all decent.

It is quite expensive, I'd have rather eaten some where else for that cash.

Wow, glad I checked with this forum. Doesn't sound like the crowd agrees with the review. I'm trying to find the link on nj.com to post, but it's not posted yet.

Regarding Morristown's food scene. Admittedly, everything is not great, but for my taste buds, there are a few places that I've enjoyed going back to time and again. I like Origin (Still prefer Somerville over Morristown), and have been to Andaman Sea a few times as well - both really good. Sebastian's is pretty pricey for the menu, but for a local steakhouse (There's not much better, that I can think of, within 20 - 30 minutes), the food and the atmosphere are good. It's not walking distance, but Copeland is certainly in Morristown, and I can't wait to go back.

I like Asahi for good, simple sushi, and although I like Moghul for Indian food, Caffe India is pretty good as well (And they've recently renovated, so the interior has improved).

There are certainly better choices for each of these cuisines, but for someone who lives near Morristown, many of them involve a drive 30+ minutes (I'll make the trip to Clay Oven in Ledgewood every time). All in all, not perfect, but a vast improvement from 5 years ago.

Getting 3 stars from the Ledger is very ordinary; Just about EVERY restaurant reviewed there gets at least 3 stars. Same with the Record. A really striking anomaly is "Smoke" in Englewood, getting 4 stars from the Record. Incredulous. I can't say that it's done to promote the restaurant advertising in the newspaper, but I find Corcoran and Cook in the Times to be much more credible than the Ledger or the Record.

And I've also heard that Morristown has slim pickings for restaurants; although I did hear some good things about Pierre's lately. Anyone been there?

Getting 3 stars from the Ledger is very ordinary; Just about EVERY restaurant reviewed there gets at least 3 stars.  Same with the Record.  A really striking anomaly is "Smoke" in Englewood, getting 4 stars from the Record.  Incredulous.  I can't say that it's done to promote the restaurant advertising in the newspaper, but I find Corcoran and Cook in the Times to be much more credible than the Ledger or the Record. 

And I've also heard that Morristown has slim pickings for restaurants; although I did hear some good things about Pierre's lately.  Anyone been there?

Yup. Went there once two years ago on Valentine's Day. Not bad if you're into that kind of thing, but it was very standard "cruise line" French, if that makes any sense. Firmly planted circa 1958, the food seemed well cooked but not the least bit innovative.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

There are certainly better choices for each of these cuisines, but for someone who lives near Morristown, many of them involve a drive 30+ minutes (I'll make the trip to Clay Oven in Ledgewood every time).

*Doing a double take* Clay Oven?!? Really? I've done the buffet lunch there twice now and both times it was dissappointing (limited selection/no lamb, mediocre tasting food, old/shoddy/musty decor, bright orange carrot halvah,).

I don't see how you could mention Clay Oven and Moghul in the same post. For me, the two are worlds apart in quality.