• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tamarind Tree Reopened?

We had become a bit dependent on the TT for all kinds of needs -- casual, fancy, guests in town, etc. Alas, they had some ... trouble ... recently and were closed for a while. Anyone know if they've re-opened yet?

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

According the the health dept. site, they did very well on the return inspection, so I would assume they have opened. It's probably good to give a call down there first, though.

The report portion of the website is still listing them as closed, but maybe they haven't updated it because of the holiday. Looks like they still have a couple of serious issues though. Here's the last two reports. I hope they get their act together soon for all our sakes! :sad:

Return Inspection 11/16/2005

-Physical facilities not properly installed, maintained, clean; unnecessary persons not excluded from establishment

-Insects, rodents, animals present; entrance uncontrolled

Routine Inspection/Field Review 11/14/2005

-Non-food contact surfaces not maintained, clean, sanitized

-Thermometers not available or used as required to evaluate temperature of potentially hazardous foods

-Hands not washed as required

-Warewashing facilities not properly installed, maintained, used; no test strips available and used

-Room temperature storage, improper use of time as a control, procedures not available

-Permit not posted; mobile vehicle name not easily visible

-Physical facilities not properly installed, maintained, clean; unnecessary persons not excluded from establishment

-Food contact surfaces not maintained, clean, sanitized

-Toxic substances improperly identified, stored and used

-Insects, rodents, animals present; entrance uncontrolled

-In-use utensils improperly stored

-Garbage, refuse not properly disposed; facilities not maintained

-Food worker card not available or current, new food workers not trained

-Food not protected from potential contamination during preparation, storage, display

-Inadequate hand washing facilities

-Raw meats, poultry, aquatic foods not stored away from ready-to-eat foods

-Plumbing not properly sized, installed, and maintained, improper backflow devices, indirect drains, cross connections present

-Wiping cloths improperly used, stored

-Improper sewage, waste water disposal

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Looks like they still have a couple of serious issues though.

I think a 7 is a very good score; if you search the site for some of Seattle's best restaurants you'll find they routinely have higher (meaning worse) scores than that.

We had dinner there last night for the first time and I loved it. Beautiful room and we had the perfect table, next to the fireplace. (No one was eating on the waterfall patio but the heaters were on and it was very attractive.) I loved the shrimp-topped rice cakes. The cocktails sounded extremely delicious, but since it was a school night I had a refreshing tamarind soda. I look forward to returning. The service was pleasant and solicitous.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 2 weeks later...

It is too bad that Tamarind Tree failed an inspection and was closed. It is also too bad, and perhaps downright irresponsible, that the Health Dept kept them on the closed list for up to 10 days after they passed and were allowed to re-open.

Based upon long-term experience, they really care little about their obligation to the businesses and pubic who pay taxes and fees to support them, or about consistently and fairly applied rules, or high-quality defensible technical work.

Do I like my restaurants clean? Absolutely. Do I trust Public Health - Seattle & King County to be judge and jury? Not at all.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

It is too bad that Tamarind Tree failed an inspection and was closed.  It is also too bad, and perhaps downright irresponsible, that the Health Dept kept them on the closed list for up to 10 days after they passed and were allowed to re-open.

Based upon long-term experience, they really care little about their obligation to the businesses and pubic who pay taxes and fees to support them, or about consistently and fairly applied rules, or high-quality defensible technical work. 

Do I like my restaurants clean?  Absolutely.  Do I trust Public Health - Seattle & King County to be judge and jury?  Not at all.

I read in the Weekly yesterday about the delay in taking TT off the 'Closed' list. Frankly, they have grounds for a lawsuit, but then again, probably don't want to piss off the DPH. Very irresponsible.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946