• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Priorat

Rebel Rose

The Wine Enthusiast has an interesting article the on Priorat region.

Desolate, barely populated and hard as hell to farm, Priorat over the past two decades has risen from lost and forgotten to the top of the heap, a source for some of the most sought-after red wines on the planet. Yet when you set your eyes on this chunk of Tarragona province located 100 miles southwest of Barcelona, with its steep, parched hills, spiny cacti and tiny stone villages, “atypical” is the first word that comes to mind.

Does anyone have any experience with these wines?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Mary, Hi...

Rather than post a bunch of comments, let me refer people to my fairly recent tasting notes of some of the wines of Priorat. Should be enough to say it all.....

http://www.stratsplace.com/cgi-bin/search?...untry=&UserID=4

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

As a general rule, they are inky deep purple fruit bombs much beloved by Mr. Parker and myself. I had the pleasure last year of visiting a couple of wineries in the area, Masia Duch and Jose Puig. The most common grape varietals are grenache, carignan,cab and merlot. The area itself is arid, mountainous and beautiful.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Would welcome some recommendations for wines that are not overpriced, highly extracted, often blowsy, usually low-acid and heavily oaked Parker Pleasers™, which has generally been my experience* of them.

Here is the totality of the SAQ's current offer (the list changes from time to time):

- Cims de Porrera Classic 2000, 750 ml, C$94

- Finca Dofi Alvaro Palacios 2001, 750 ml, C$113

- L'Ermita Alvaro Palacios 2001, 750 ml, C$620

- Les Terrasses 2002, 750 ml, C$42

- Miserere 2002, 750 ml, C$64

C$1 = US$0.85; prices include 15% sales tax.

*edit: limited experience, that is, for reasons that should be clear.

Edited by carswell (log)

Would welcome some recommendations for wines that are not overpriced, highly extracted, often blowsy, usually low-acid and heavily oaked Parker Pleasers™, which has generally been my experience* of them.

Here is the totality of the SAQ's current offer (the list changes from time to time):

Pasanau La Morera de Montsant 2001, Garnacha, Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah blend. HUGE berry and oaky vanilla with plenty of spice and leather to back it up. A very "masculine" but delicious wine that will definitely get your attention. Luscious is the best adjective I can think of to describe this wine. About $40 in PA. This is currently on the wine list at Amada and it's the "big gun" at the high end of the list. We're charging $20/glass or $100/bottle for it and it's awesome stuff.

Pasanau also produces another wine called La Planeta, a mostly Cabernet blend, which is equally spectacular. Anything you can find from Pasanau is well worth the cost of admission IMHO. They aren't inexpensive, but worth every penny.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I think these wines generally tend to be highly extracted, although they come with varying degrees of oak. In general, they do tend to be more new world or globally styled. The ones I mentioned above are reasonably well balanced if you can find them.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think these wines generally tend to be highly extracted, although they come with varying degrees of oak. In general, they do tend to be more new world or globally styled. The ones I mentioned above are reasonably well balanced if you can find them.

I agree with John, generally speaking. Many of the more acclaimed wines from the region tend to be from steeply terraced vineyards that aren't irrigated, which results in lower yields of more highly concentrated grapes. I think there is a difference between concentrated and extracted when it comes to wines.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Many has been said about the wines from Priorat, fruit bombs, mineral wines that they were going to fall down in few years, ultra expensive bluffs... But they were very original wines with real caracter and some of them really outstanding. despite it's price L'Ermita is one of the world's best greenache wines.

Some of this things were right, but not as a whole. The best producers are still the five original clos (Mogador, Dofí/L'Ermita, Martinet, Clos de L'Obac and Clos Erasmus) and a few following bunch like Mas Doix and El Vuit.

Albeit all the names mentioned above it surpriese me that none has written about Rene Barbier and his Clos Mogador, one of the finest and until last year relatively afordable. The 2001 is one of the best spanish wines that I have tasted.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Albeit all the names mentioned above it surpriese me that none has written about Rene Barbier and his Clos Mogador, one of the finest and until last year relatively afordable. The 2001 is one of the best spanish wines that I have tasted.

An earlier note of mine on the 1997 Clos Mogador:

1997 Clos Mogador, Priorat. I brought this wine because I knew there would be some geeks present. Little did I know that one woman would bogart a third of this bottle because it was the closest one to where she had parked her ass. And then with a good two ounces still in her glass, she topped it off with some loganberry wine (after the Clos Mogador had been emptied). Through pure luck in timing, I managed to steal 2-3 ounces. The wine is made from a single vineyard in Priorat. It is a blend of 35% garnacha, 35% cabernet sauvignon, 20% syrah, and 10% carinena. Aged in new French oak vats. The wine is very concentrated. Most of that is a result of the growing conditions – steeply terraced vineyards, no irrigation. The presses used at Clos Mogador are olive presses, which result in 50% less juice, adding to the concentration factor.

This wine is also very delicious. There is a lot to enjoy here, and the wine is complete without being overly showy. Intense and inviting nose of blueberry, chocolate, smoke, plum jelly, wet earth, and roasting meat. In the mouth, the fruit, smoke, oak, and earth are in very nice harmony. The fruit concentration is evident, but the wine isn’t even in the same ball park as syrup. The tannins are ripe and silky, and provide a wonderful structure. Finishes with more earthy minerality than with fruit. It’s very good now, could still be on the way up, and should be enjoyable for 7-10 more years.

Is this new world, modern winemaking of not? The grapes are left to suffer in the vineyard, and fight for water along with weeds and other vegetation. The only “manipulation” used in the winery is gravity from Mother Nature. And wine made from non-native grapes and new French oak doesn’t always mean modern. Regardless of where one falls on this debate, this particular bottle of Clos Mogador was one very good wine.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Many has been said about the wines from Priorat, fruit bombs, mineral wines that they were going to fall down in few years, ultra expensive bluffs... But they were very original wines with real caracter and some of them really outstanding. despite it's price L'Ermita is one of the world's best greenache wines.

Some of this things were right, but not as a whole. The best producers are still the five original clos (Mogador, Dofí/L'Ermita, Martinet, Clos de L'Obac and Clos Erasmus) and a few following bunch like Mas Doix and El Vuit.

Please note that Daniel Rogov has provided a link to notes on theses wines including a few for Clos Mogador.

Frankly, it is beyond me how people can dismiss thses wines by lumping them together under a derogatory rubric like "fruit bomb" etc.

Just reading Rogov's and other's notes on these wines (also Brad's note) would indicate something quite the contrary.

As for the "fruit bomb" designation --wine is made from fruit--so I never really know what this term really means?

The Priorat wines are often very complex and distinctive and the level of overall quality is high--at least the many that are available here in the US.

I have enjoyed many including several vintages of Clos Mogador. (My favorite Spanish wine, unfortunately for me and my bank account, is Vega Sicilia Unico--I believe this to be one of the very greatest wines produced anywhere).

It is no wonder that appreciation of Spanish wine (and sales) is rapidly growing here--many fine wines of many different styles.