• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krug MV

Christopher

Not that this is a stretch,  but I am a big fan of KRUG Grand Cuvee MV

However, over the past few years I've noticed the blend has seemingly higher citrus tones than in the early 90's. The finish is still as rich as it ever was and it goes on forever but the initial approach and mid palate seem to contain a bit more lemon zest notes.

Anyone else?

Funny you should write this...

It has been about three years since I last tasted the MV and just last weekend My wife and I shared a bottle.  My comment to her was that it was lemonier than I had remembered.  I figured my memory was failing but now I see it is right on.  I still think it is the ultimate champagne but I thank you for making the note and confirming that both my taste and memory are still strong.

You guys have expensive taste :wow:

imho, Krug is the epitome of champagne. Founded in 1843 bt Johamn-Joseph Krug, from Mainz Germany The house is now majority owned by Louis Vuitton, but is still run by the family, for me the Blanc de Blanc from the grand cru Clos du Mesnil and it's Millesime are two of the highlights of Champagne.

Also, for me..Salon's Blanc de Blanc is the finest their is IMHO

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

A lemon style change is more suited to the US market. Krug is now controlled by bean counters who are responsible to shareholders. Currently they are still selling the stocks that were made prior to the sale so the wines should still be great. However, they have to make more money to keep the shareholders happy. They only way they can do that is to raise the price or lower the quality. Keep an eye on then wines two years from now. My guess is higher production at a slightly lower quality. Outside of champagne, very few will notice. :hmmm: