• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In Her Shoes

Megan Blocker

Has anyone else seen the movie In Her Shoes? One of the only reasons I've read Jennifer Weiner's books has been her vivid portrayal of Philadelphia in them (I went to college on the Main Line and have missed Philly ever since). When I went to see the movie on Friday night (which really was one of the best chick flicks I've seen in years), I was hoping it would have the same loving depiction of the city, and it did! I was also pleased by how many culinary destinations it showed, including the Italian market and Pat's and Geno's (two characters eat cheesesteaks after a Sixers game). There was a sushi restaurant that featured prominently (looked real good, but I didn't catch the name), and a Jamaican Jerk Hut - does this actually exist?

Just thought all you Pennsylvania denizens might be interested to know that the movies have discovered your food! :wink: Along with all of us jealous New Yorkers, of course.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

When In Her Shoes was filming in 2004 they shot a lot of scenes in Rittenhouse Square, right across from Rouge, my former place of employ. Cameron Diaz came in for lunch a bunch of times - she was very fond of one of the tuna dishes on the menu. She even had a romantic lunch with her squeeze Justin Timberlake one day that ended up in a photo in the National Inquirer. The stalkerazzi were everywhere during that time, hiding in the bushes in the park like the vermin they are. It was pretty silly.

Cameron Diaz is very nice in person. She's pretty in a much more natural "girl next door" looking way than she shows on the red carpet. She was very sweet to the staff and the waiters told me she's a decent tipper.

Was the sushi restaurant Morimoto??

Jamaican Jerk Hut is really good. I've been eating their roti for years, and the jerk and curries are excellent also. They also make their own fresh juices. The ginger beer (which is really more the consistency of pineapple juice) is REALLY hot and delicious. It also mixes some mean cocktails. Once you've had a Dark n' Stormy that way, the soda pop type ginger beers pale by comparison.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Was the sushi restaurant Morimoto??

Nope - someplace that looked more staid than Morimoto. It's entirely possible (though it seems unlikely, given all the other location shooting they did) that it's a restaurant somewhere in L.A. Hmmmm...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Eating at Jamican Jerk Hut is a plot point in the book (and I assume the movie as well, but I haven't seen it yet). JJH now has several signs up that say, "As seen in In Her Shoes."

I haven't seen the movie, but I believe the sushi restaurant is Hikaru down at 2nd, near South.

I saw Curtis Hanson and Cameron Diaz eating in Salt two different times. The staff there said she was indeed a good tipper as well.

I haven't seen the movie, but I believe the sushi restaurant is Hikaru down at 2nd, near South.

I'll let you know after I've had a chance to see the film. Hikaru is literally a stumble out my front door and I'll definitely recognize the interior.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Saw the film on Sunday and having eaten at Hikaru about 10 days ago, I don't believe it's the sushi place featured. The restaurant in the film had dark wood (cherry?) banquettes with opaque glass privacy screens above the seats. Hikaru has blonde wood seating and more open seating arrangements.

Jamiacan Jerk Hut is in the movie? That's wonderful publicity for them. They deserve it. Great Philadelphia institution. I'll take their jerk pork and friend plantains over pat's and geno's any day of the week.

Jamiacan Jerk Hut is in the movie? That's wonderful publicity for them. They deserve it. Great Philadelphia institution. I'll take their jerk pork and friend plantains over pat's and geno's any day of the week.

Yeah! As is mentioned above, they are part of a few major plot points - lots of screen time.

Queenie Takes Manhattan