• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Carousel

AlwaysCravingThai

Has anyone been to Le Carousel in Montclair? It took over for another restaurant. Friends have made reservations for us for Friday night, but was wondering if anyone has been there? It's entirely possible that this is opening night because a friend of theirs is the piano player and I think he said something about it being the first night. I don't know if it was his first night or the restaurant's first night.

I agree but stuffed rigatoni, chicken Monte Carlo, Capon Florentine, and veal scallopini are some of the menu items. They also have tapas listed such as wonton shrimp, beer battered calamari, shrimp and crab spring rolls, fried ravioli and tuna tartare. I guess it would be fair to say it is an eclectic menu.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I went there for their grand opening night (9/16). They have a wine-only license (so no beer or liquor) and they are only offering wine from a New Jersey winery. I forgot the name of the winery after paying $7 for a glass of cab and it was horrible tasting. The interior design is pleasing but some important details, such as the diner-esque tabletops and chairs, were overlooked. I did not try any of the food. My quick judgement says this will be another "Church St Cafe": quickly forgotten.

I went there for their grand opening night (9/16). They have a wine-only license (so no beer or liquor) and they are only offering wine from a New Jersey winery. I forgot the name of the winery after paying $7 for a glass of cab and it was horrible tasting. The interior design is pleasing but some important details, such as the diner-esque tabletops and chairs, were overlooked. I did not try any of the food. My quick judgement says this will be another "Church St Cafe": quickly forgotten.

I too was there opening night. Thankfully, one of our party makes his own award winning wine so the fact that the food was awful didn't matter much after we each had a bottle of wine! Really, I wouldn't step foot in there again. I didn't even order a main course!

I too was there opening night. Thankfully, one of our party makes his own award winning wine so the fact that the food was awful didn't matter much after we each had a bottle of wine! Really, I wouldn't step foot in there again. I didn't even order a main course!

Do they charge corkage if you bring your own wine to a NJ-wines-only resto? If so, how much?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Do they charge corkage if you bring your own wine to a NJ-wines-only resto? If so, how much?

I believe that the NJ wine only license is a special license from the state and one can still BYO without a corkage fee.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 4 months later...
If anyone had any Valentine's Day dinner reservations here (or any other night in the forseeable future), I think you may be out of luck:

http://www.baristanet.com/barista/2006/02/...tines_day_.html

how about LELEZAR or Taj PALACE. Did these restaurants suffer any damage?

tom

No, thanks to the quick work of the Montclair firefighters, the fire was confined to the Carousel building, the rest of the block was not involved at all.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845