• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frango no churrasco

Piazzola, you must have a back yard with no neighbours around if you want to try it. :wink:

Ok, once you have live coal in your barbecue, put the “frango” with some salt (chicken) completely open in between two grills. Make a mix of olive oil and “piri piri” (Portuguese hot sauce). Put this mix on the frango with the help of a paintbrush and barbecue it quite close to the live coal. The skin side must get very dark, but watch out the other side, otherwise it will get to dry. You must “paint” the frango with the olive oil and piri piri several times while you barbecue it.

Edited by Eduardo (log)

Eduardo's instructions are perfect, he's right, the smell from the grill is irresistable. I've been visiting the Algarve for decades and frango na churassco - or frango com piri piri - is always one of the highlights.

Here's a little story that also includes my recipe (which I've been working to perfect for many years, deceptively simple though it is).

MP

Don't take me wrong but it is the first time I have heard of the inclusion of tomato paste(since it is Italian invention) that's new to me though I still in the dark about the peri peri thingy. I got some in powder form from South Africa where the dish originated from

Doesn't anyone know this recipe for basic peri peri?

Aren't the piripiri peppers used for the molho grown in Portugal? I thought they were brought over from Brasil a couple hundred years ago, and originally from Africa.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Spicy or spicier, I'm going to guess that part of the appeal of such food is based on the use of local free range chickens in Portugal.

From Marco_Polo's page:

We wash this feast down with bottles of chilled vinho verde (our favourites include Quinta da Aveleda, Grinalda and Muralhas); the wine is crisp, green apple fresh, and relatively low in alcohol: it cuts the grease of the chickens, eases the heat of the piri piri chillies, and quenches most ably a huge thirst worked up from a day in the sun.
One doesn't hear enough praise or appreciation for traditional low alcohol wines, particularly on hot summer days and evenings.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Aren't the piripiri peppers used for the molho grown in Portugal?  I thought they were brought over from Brasil a couple hundred years ago, and originally from Africa.

To my knowledge piri piri are African peppers not related to Brazil at all.

I'll try to find out what's in this mollho composition :biggrin:

Aren't the piripiri peppers used for the molho grown in Portugal?  I thought they were brought over from Brasil a couple hundred years ago, and originally from Africa.

To my knowledge piri piri are African peppers not related to Brazil at all.

I'll try to find out what's in this mollho composition :biggrin:

"There's a lot of debate about how the piri-piri pepper came to Portugal," says Dave DeWitt, author of the Chile Pepper Encyclopedia (Morrow, 1999). "The peppers were originally brought back on Columbus's voyage to the Americas. Most people believe that the Portuguese took the chilies to their colonies of Mozambique and Angola, where they were christened piri-piri, a Swahili word that means 'pepper-pepper,' and naturally cross-pollinated. Eventually, one of the varieties made its way to Portugal, where, for some reason, it retained its African name."

http://www.portcult.com/Portugal.48_piri.htm

I've read in some chilliesque litterature that some scientists even believe that Piri-Piris or "Malagueta-peppers" as they are sometimes called is the only kind of caspicum that's native to the old world. But I don't know.

Good Molho Picante is made in a blender with vinegar, whole piri piris, small clove of garlic & lime.

Don't take me wrong but it is the first time I have heard of the inclusion of tomato paste(since it is Italian invention) that's new to me though I still in the dark about the peri peri thingy. I got some in powder form from South Africa where the dish originated from

Doesn't anyone know this recipe for basic peri peri?

The most basic piri-piri couldn't be simpler: steep red pepper flakes (with the seeds, of course) with vegetable oil at room temperature for a day, or overnight. Start with about 4 parts oil to 1 part red pepper flakes, and adjust to taste from there.

This is exactly how the make piri-piri sauce at that bastion of frango assado no espeto in Lisboa, Restaurante Bonjardim. I used to be there many a late evening as the waiters were finishing up their side work, which included repleneshing the piri-piri pots, and watched them do it dozens of times.

You could tweak it suit your tastes--I think a pinch of salt would not be amiss. Adding some vinegar is a possibility, I suppose, but it's not to my taste at all. I rather like the utter simplicity of red pepper flakes in oil. And as far as I could tell, the red pepper flakes were nothing exotic (they certainly weren't the tiny Spanish malaguetas), just the dried red pepper flakes available in every supermarket in Portugal, which look and taste like the ones available everywhere here in the U.S.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

• 3 months later...

Piazolla:

I could buy you some piri-piri small botlles at a local supermarket and send them to you by mail, it will not be that expensive.

eMail me if you want it

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight