• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Five

Florida Jim

2003 Terres Dorees (J.P. Brun), Beaujolais Blanc:

Pear and apple nose with lovely clean flavors, light-weight and crisp but no lack of concentration; crisp, clean finish. Excellent quality for less than $10. Bravo!

With broiled wild salmon:

2003 Felton Road, Pinot Noir (NZ):

Rosemary and strong black raspberry smells and a distinct fruit sweetness on both the nose and palate with good cut and concentration; medium finish. A bit too young to evaluate but the sweetness borders on candied – not a good sign in my book. Screw-cap.

and,

2001 Patz and Hall, Pinot Noir Hyde Vineyard:

Similar profile to the foregoing wine on both the nose and palate but toned down and with some earth tones, not as much cut but not as sweet either. Probably the better wine overall, but lacking the concentration of the Felton Road.

(Aside: I understand the allure of both of these wines; the fruit is emphasized and each has ample weight and smooth textures in the mouth. But for me, these are less food friendly than I like, show little complexity and are more a “cocktail” style of wine. One glass is all I really wanted. I think I am better served in Burgundy and, to some extent, Oregon.)

2000 Nikolaihof, Riesling Smaragd Im Weinebirge:

Showing beautifully now with fine, classy aromatics and very strong, pure flavors; lots of cut, sustain and perfect balance. A wine to savor with or without food. Very of its place.

1999 Verset, Cornas:

Funky stuff with a cat poop and ash tray nose; nuanced, ripe fruit with all sorts of complexity, evident structure and a slightly drying finish. With Portobello and mozzarella sandwiches, exquisite. Wild, untamed wine that is not for everyone but I adore it. Verset and Allemand are making some really amazing juice in Cornas.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com