• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vij's

Andy Lynes

AAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!!  It's Vij's and not VJ's!

Sorry, but his last name is Vij and hence the restaurant is named accordingly...

:wink:

k.

Woops sorry it's one of those things where I saw the sign, thought VJ and then even though I have seen it as Vij's my brain still sees VJ. I've fixed my post. I can't be misnaming someone's last name. That's pretty bad.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I'm not sure I agree that it is a good move regardless since I know of say 20 friends, 10 will NOT go to a restaurant which does not take reservations - they see it as a respect issue, they don't feel they are being treated with respect when they can't call ahead of time to book a time to eat.

The problem is that while your friends may be reliable and respectful when shown respect ... but there are countless shameless others that don't give a rat's behind.

Those folks don't care about reservations. They will use it - and if it serves their purposes - will abuse the reservation system.

I feel for businesses that have to deal with such "customers" and I don't have a problem with any business that makes a discretionary decision to not have one.

If a business can survive without a reservation system then more power to them.

If having a no-reservation policy hurts them in the end then it is the business that will pay the ultimate price in the end anyways.

Back on the topic of Vij's - i'm intending to hit Vij's for my birthday dinner. Slightly sheepish to say that i've never been there despite the acclaim and so forth. My wife and I (and before I was married) have our own spots that we've frequented, know the menu and owners/servers and have felt comfortable.

I kind of fondly remember (kind of) waiting in line for Stephos back in the day before they reno'd their place to add way more seating. Now that i'm older and presumably wiser i'm not into waiting in line (who is?) ... so I hear that 5:30pm opening for Vij's is in order?

Anybody care to volunteer a favorite dish off their current menu?

I kind of fondly remember (kind of) waiting in line for Stephos back in the day before they reno'd their place to add way more seating. Now that i'm older and presumably wiser i'm not into waiting in line (who is?) ... so I hear that 5:30pm opening for Vij's is in order?

Anybody care to volunteer a favorite dish off their current menu?

First of all, there's a big difference between waiting for a table at Vij's, and standing in the pissing rain on Davie. At Vij's, you're guided toward the back lounge which is gorgeous and (I think) part of the whole experience. Upon sitting in the lounge, you'll be given warm chai and be able to pick from platters of warm 'starters' that float around the room. Boom! No table yet, but you've already received warm hospitality with complimentary food and drink. Gonna be a tad longer for the table? Have an IPA on tap or a glass of wine from their small, well-chosen wine list.

I don't feel there's a need to dart to Vij's immediately after work, or to dine at a time that may be a little early for you. Just be ready for the experience, make an evening of it, and soak it all up. Sometimes it's not about how fast you can get in and get out. This is why the Slow Food movement is quite contagious. There's a lot to be offered at Vij's, the more you open yourself up to, the better time you'll have.

Oh, and order anything that appeals on the menu. You really can't go wrong. It's all made with the same energy and heart.

Enjoy!

k.

To add to the point of the reservation system topic upthread, one must also consider the point of view of the business minded restaurateur who also wants to please their guests.

Allow me to put a few situations forward from a guest perspective and also from a restaurateur's perspective.

1. You walk into a restaurant, hungry. You see a few empty tables, so you are relieved to see that you won't have a problem being seated. You approach the host, and say "Hello, table for 2, please." The host proceeds to tell you that there is nothing available, and there would likely be a 20 minute wait. Why? you ask yourself, can I not be seated at that empty, set table over there instead of waiting. The answer is that you can not have that table because another person called to save it 15 minutes from now. Your options? Walk away or wait for the next table to come up, all the while staring at that empty table, taunting you with its mere presence.

Restaurateur's perspective: Why should I save this table for later when I can seat it now? Understanding that guests would prefer to know for certain that they will have a table in a busy restaurant before committing to coming in, the fact of the matter is that no business person in their right mind would prefer to sell their space once at 6:30pm when they can sell it at 5:30 and 7:30 instead. It really is that simple.

As one who understands all the pros and cons for both sides of the argument, I absolutely love Vij's. I love it for all the things that set it apart from other restaurants, for all the things that Vij's isn't. I have never seen another beer and wine list that communicates so loud and clear that someone actually put thought into what is offered and why. Although mentioned above many times, mention a better host, please, I would love to hear of anyone comparable. Vij's speaks to me not just as a great place to get Indian food, but of a place that very caring people have poured their hearts and souls into creating, for the purpose of spending their lives making experiences great for others. When I walk in, I feel cared about, and I feel that my reservation was not accepted because someone else was cared about too.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

^ Hey guys,

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I had not considered he angle of people who reserve and don't show or reserve and show very late. I find that the peak of bad manners as well. I can understand how that can be for the owner. This is indeed a good discussion.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Back on the topic of Vij's - i'm intending to hit Vij's for my birthday dinner.

And did you?

k.

Oh, not yet. Not 'til early December. :raz:

I'm building up to it though!

I'll definitely revisit this thread or the other dining thread with my experience for sure and update ya.

I'm going to do stomach stretching exercises ... practice like that 130lb Japanese eating champion does for the Nathan's Hot Dog championships. That way i'll be able to take in Vij's full on baby!