• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brugal Gold = higher proof Carta Dorada?

mbanu

Trying to find out about the approximate age of Brugal Gold Label.

The defunct brugal.be website claims that Brugal Carta Dorada is 3 years old, Brugal Anejo is 5 years old and Brugal Extra Viejo is 8 years old. From tasting these, I'd guess the year is a statement of the oldest rum in the blend, but I could be wrong.... (any ideas?)

My main question is, is there any difference between Brugal Carta Dorada and Brugal Gold besides the proof?

Unfortunately at this time, it's hard to say. Brugal Gold shipped to the US is not the same rum as you'll find in the Dominican Republic. The age statements you found are probably like you suspect, the oldest rum in the blend. It should be noted that US law requires age statements to reflect the youngest rums in the blend and not the oldest.

But don't get hung up on the age of your rum. You owe it to yourself to taste the rum and decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy another bottle.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.