• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inquiry: Sesame balls in C-Town

mascarpone

I was in Chinatown tonight and I found some interesting sesame balls at a bakery on Mott that I did not get the name of but it is across the street from the Green Tea Cafe @ 45 Mott Street. The balls were actually made out of rice cake (mochi) material and were filled with red bean paste and were covered with sesame seeds and I think must have been deep fried in sesame oil. They are slightly smaller that a baseball, but were definitly larger that a golf ball. What are they called? They are delicious ($3.75 for six).

Edited by mascarpone (log)

The name of the place that I found the geen dueh (a.k.a sesame balls) is Fong Inn Too Inc. @ 46 Mott Street (just south of Bayard on the East side of the street). The telephone number is 212-962-5196.

I stopped in there again this evening at around 8:45 PM and they were sold out but they had some in the refrigerator that they recommended steaming before eating.

I passed on the offer.

Fong Inn Too Inc. also sells:

Soft, Hard Curd

White-Dry Curd

Flavored-dry Bean Curd

Brown and White Rice Cakes

Rice Noodle

Shrimp Noodle

Lai Fun

Needle noodle

Sweet Rice Powder

Plain Rice Powder