• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reception in the Valley

oneidaone

My friend has asked me if I know of anywhere in the Valley area that would be good for a reception. There will be guests of all ages (including children) and it does not have to be fancy or

complicated food. It would be for about 200 or so in the late fall. They were thinking chinese but

were told that most good places were in Monterey Park which would be too far for everyone to

travel. I realize this is somewhat vague and I apologize but she is busy coordinating the other

reception for the same couple over here and is quite overwhelmed! So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Thanks so much and a hui hou :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I'm going to take a wild guess, since you already ruled out the San Gabriel Valley, and assume you mean the San Fernando Valley. For a group that big, you may want to try one of the many country clubs that are in the hills south of Ventura Boulevard. I've been to many things at Braemar (in Tarzana). While I've certainly had better food in my life, they are fine. They will also be quite accomodating and I believe fairly reasonable. I've been to Sunday brunches, lunches and dinners there. And, the view is nice.

Just a thought.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Yes, sorry I forgot about the geography there.......Doing this for somebody else sorry. Yes it

is the San Fernando Valley. It's like when people say "we're coming to Hawaii for a week" and

you have to ask well "which island." A hui hou...... :rolleyes:

There is a Yang Chow restaurant over in the San Fernando Valley. I've never been there nor the one in LA Chinatown.

What type of reception is your friend thinking of? Chinese sit-down banquet? Buffet?

Is your friend perhaps from Hawaii? I ask this since you're from Oahu and maybe a Hawaiian-style reception is a possibility? If so, try the Torrance & Gardena area nearby LAX. Just a thought ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

She lives here and has to have a reception for 310 at Mariposa at Neiman's November 26. The other part of the family that is not coming is from CA in the San Fernando Valley area. She has her

work cut out for her as you can see! I will press her for more details letting her knowt hat people

are trying to help but we need more concrete info. Thanks so much to everyone so far! You

all are so helpful and nice! A hui hou :wink:

She lives here and has to have a reception for 310 at Mariposa at Neiman's November 26. The other part of the family that is not coming is from CA in the San Fernando Valley area. She has her

work cut out for her as you can see! I will press her for more details letting her knowt hat people

are trying to help but we need more concrete info. Thanks so much to everyone so far! You

all are so helpful and nice! A hui hou :wink:

I used to live in the heart of the SFV many years ago. I know a Chinese family (the wife was a former co-worker) who lives in the SFV now but grew up in Hawaii. Go ahead & PM me if you wish.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...