• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vitpris pectin

Trishiad

It's pectin. I would like to make firmer pate de fruits and all the research leads to vitpris. I use a refractometer. I've tried the various pectins available and none of them are as firm as I would like.

Do I have to fly to France to get some? Can it even be transported home?

It's pectin.  I would like to make firmer pate de fruits and all the research leads to vitpris.  I use a refractometer.  I've tried the various pectins available and none of them are as firm as I would like.

Do I have to fly to France to get some?  Can it even be transported home?

Have you tried powdered Apple Pectin? I had the same problems and then ordered through L'Epicerie and it did the trick for me http://www.lepicerie.com/customer/home.php . It makes very firm Pate de Fruit with the recipe I've been using.

I've been looking for this also and I didn't even know it was a pectin based product!!!

I saw it in a recipe (French) for a confit of orange and citron that involve a tomato sangria and Vitpris, I guess to give it some body.

I'm including some links for this although sadly, I have to say that I can't find a source for it using Google.

http://forums.egullet.com/lofiversion/index.php/t42512.html

It can't be imported into the states apparently.

This is what Vitpris contains...

The ingredients are

dextrose, gelifiant, pectine de pomme, and acide citrique

I don't know if you folks saw it being discussed in some of these places I picked up this info in but they refered to it as a "sugar for making jams".

I think maybe apple pectin, pro quality as suggested in the 1st link may have to do.

If anyone does come up with a source, maybe some of our Canadian friends (or French) please post or PM.

Thanks.

2317/5000

I currently use apple pectin which produces a very nice Pate de Fruit and is readily available. I wanted to experiment with Vitpris because where I saw it applied was to make a softer pate de fruit, suitable for using as a layer in a bon bon. The apple pectin works just fine though.

Liquid Certo makes a soft pate. I have layered it with ganache and it is indeed tender but a bit more gelatinous than what I wanted. I wounder if certo and powdered apple pectin would work well together to create the right density/tenderness?

I knew I recognized that name somewhere..and then I remembered.. I saw it on Marha Stewart's site. Here's her recipe as well as a place in NY that carries vitpris. I should add that I'm not sure if that place in NY is current or not. I saw this recipe awhile ago.

Pates de Fruites

Makes about 120 1 1/4-inch pieces

4 3/4 cups sugar

9 tablespoons Vitpris

2.2 pounds passion fruit, strawberry or raspberry purée

Sanding sugar, for rolling

Nonstick vegetable cooking spray

1. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of the sugar and the Vitpris. Mix well; set aside. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray, and line with parchment paper. Spray again; set aside.

2. In a large stockpot, combine the remaining 2 3/4 cups sugar with the fruit purée. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Whisk in Vitpris mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. Pour onto prepared baking sheet. Tap on work surface to evenly distribute. Let stand until cool and completely set, at least one hour, and up to overnight.

3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Using a 1 1/4-inch round cutter or a knife, cut into rounds or squares. Roll in sanding sugar to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature, for at least 2 hours before serving. May be stored at room temperature, uncovered, for up to 2 days.

I did a quick check & found that they are now located in NJ

Pouring Fondant

Almond Paste

Vitpris

Passion fruit, strawberry or raspberry purée

Harry Wils & Co. Inc.

505 Jefferson Avenue

Secaucus, NJ 07094

201-770-9111

201-206-1025 (Fax)

Attn: Steven Wils (Owner)

Steven D'Onofrio x139 - donofrio@optonline.net

Rob Levy x116 (Director of Sales)

Edited by sugarbuzz (log)

harry wils doesn't carry it and you won't find it in the us. it was banned because it didn't have fda approval, several years ago. a shame and probably just one of those who's paying off whom kind of things. so smuggle it in your suitcase or rework your recipes. you could try calling one of the puree companies on site pastry chefs for technical support. they could probably help you adjust a recipe to your liking

nkaplan@delposto.com