• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pairings

Florida Jim

1996 Dom. G. Roumier, Morey-Saint-Denis Clos de la Bussière:

For one fleeting second, there was a note of bottle bouquet and the aroma of fruit and then it was gone and did not return for the three hour period this was open. All crackling acidity on the palate with intensity and concentration, obvious fruit here but no way to tell what it tastes like and absolutely no complexity or harmony. My only solace was that I had not sacrificed one of my bottles to this science experiment.

With aioli crusted salmon, no more than quaff.

2000 Pieropan, La Rocca (Soave):

As poor as the preceding match was (at the moment), this accompanied pasta with brown butter and pine nuts – and it could not have been better. Powerful aromatics matched well with the brown butter and warm pine nut aroma; the palate was deep and viscous with a very bright backbone of acidity, concentrated, intense and complex across the palate with good persistence. The exception to the rule (my rule) that Soave should never see wood; in this case the barrel aging broadened its complexity without distracting from the lively and ripe garganega fruit and added the element that matched this dish to perfection. A pairing to remember.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

1996 Dom. G. Roumier, Morey-Saint-Denis Clos de la Bussière:

For one fleeting second, there was a note of bottle bouquet and the aroma of fruit and then it was gone and did not return for the three hour period this was open. All crackling acidity on the palate with intensity and concentration, obvious fruit here but no way to tell what it tastes like and absolutely no complexity or harmony. My only solace was that I had not sacrificed one of my bottles to this science experiment.

With aioli crusted salmon, no more than quaff.

2000 Pieropan, La Rocca (Soave):

As poor as the preceding match was (at the moment), this accompanied pasta with brown butter and pine nuts – and it could not have been better. Powerful aromatics matched well with the brown butter and warm pine nut aroma; the palate was deep and viscous with a very bright backbone of acidity, concentrated, intense and complex across the palate with good persistence. The exception to the rule (my rule) that Soave should never see wood; in this case the barrel aging broadened its complexity without distracting from the lively and ripe garganega fruit and added the element that matched this dish to perfection. A pairing to remember.

Best, Jim

I have the Roumier in my cellar.

It is one of my favorite Burgundies.

Do you thionk the '96 is still too young?