• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Florida Jim

In 1956 Mark was born. Today is his 49th birthday. We invited him for dinner and had the wines listed below. But today was better than that.

Earlier I dropped by Mark’s place of business. He was faced with a difficult decision that placed profit squarely against integrity. He chose integrity.

And so this celebration is for more than just the numbers.

2000 V. Dauvissat, Les Preuses:

It would not take much for me to simply turn over my cellar to the person that would deliver this wine to me, bottle for bottle. A clean, very precise rendition of Chablis at its very best. Excellent with cauliflower soup with truffle oil.

1998 Dom. des Lambrays, Clos des Lambrays:

Even after two hours in the decanter, the first glass was tight. But the second wasn’t and gave evidence as to why I bought this grand cru. Captivating aromatics followed by a palate and finish that placed perfect execution first and all else second. Delicious with grilled pork chops with green lentils with marinated feta.

1997 Jabolet, Hermitage La Chapelle:

Again with the killer bouquet and a solid, meaty, fruit driven palate that lasted much longer than I first had expected. This wine is, as it always has been, quintessential Hermitage. With a five year old Gouda, something to write home about.

As is Mark.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

On April 10th 2005 my son Max was born.

My hope is that he will also chose integrity over profit or advancement everytime.

I suppose that is, as a parent, a challenge to teach my son.

Would you say that how we raise our children defines us as to how we are as productive citizens of this planet?

Way off topic I know.

I blame it on the Pappy Van Winkles 20 year Family Reserve Bourbon I just had.

Thanks again Jim.

Cheers, Steve

slowfood/slowwine

Would you say that how we raise our children defines us as to how we are as productive citizens of this planet?

I don't know what makes us productive citizens but I suspect how we are raised certainly contributes to that concept.

But then, I think that in order to know the difference, at some point in time we probably chose profit and found the decision lacking. And it is that finding that is everything.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com