• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ping Pong

You sound like the Michael Winner of Chinese food.

"calm down dear! it's only a commercial" man i hated that advert!

to quote the manic street preachers

"And if you tolerate this

Then your children will be next".

Isn't mediocre food expectations the true downfall of British cuisine?

(British as in ALL it forms and variations)

It's not the fact that the UK doesn't produce world beating produce

but it the mass populace that have been weaned on low quality crap?

School dinners anyone?

Well I for one don't want to see the standards of Chinese food in the UK to be dragged back down. Chinese food over the last few decades has improved dramatically and the last thing I want to see is a chain come in and serve the same crap that chinatown was serving mid 1970's.

Especially when that chain evidently has the financial backing to produce something better.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Origamicrane,

Maybe you should visit Ping Pong a few more times and re-consider your opinions.

I think the food is not bad at all.

It's true that most of the clientele is non-Chinese but then the Chinese (Cantonese) will not eat dim sum for dinner and when they go for lunch they will go to the Chinese restaurants anyway.

This place introduces dim sum to non-Chinese in a welcoming manner. That's the whole point of this concept. I am pleased that the founder has opened this place.

Origamicrane,

Maybe you should visit Ping Pong a few more times and re-consider your opinions.

It's true that most of the clientele is non-Chinese but then the Chinese (Cantonese) will not eat dim sum for dinner and when they go for lunch they will go to the Chinese restaurants anyway.

This place introduces dim sum to non-Chinese in a welcoming manner.  That's the whole point of this concept.  I am pleased that the founder has opened this place.

ok

I will go again next weekend i will try the new branch

and i will try to go with an open mind.

Origamicrane,

This place introduces dim sum to non-Chinese in a welcoming manner.  That's the whole point of this concept.  I am pleased that the founder has opened this place.

do you have any affiliation with this restaurant?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

You sound like the Michael Winner of Chinese food.

"calm down dear! it's only a commercial" man i hated that advert!

to quote the manic street preachers

"And if you tolerate this

Then your children will be next".

Isn't mediocre food expectations the true downfall of British cuisine?

(British as in ALL it forms and variations)

It's not the fact that the UK doesn't produce world beating produce

but it the mass populace that have been weaned on low quality crap?

School dinners anyone?

Well I for one don't want to see the standards of Chinese food in the UK to be dragged back down. Chinese food over the last few decades has improved dramatically and the last thing I want to see is a chain come in and serve the same crap that chinatown was serving mid 1970's.

Especially when that chain evidently has the financial backing to produce something better.

yaaawwwwwwwnnnnnn

i think i prefered it when you posts were full of emoticons, at least it meant there were less words to read.

who exactly was it who bestowed on you the title of 'chinese food expert' anyway?

And what about his Dim Sum?

oh he hasn't got a clue on that :biggrin:

his chilli crab isn't much cop either - last time i think he got beaten in a competition by some Italian bloke called Gino :shock:

:sad::sad::sad:

it's true!! its true!!! sob! sob! i got beaten by gino and i got kicked out in the first round of masterchef goes large

and if you/I am really unlucky

you gonna see me on the F-Word next month get beaten by Gordon Ramsey in a banoffee pie cook off :raz:

origamicrane,

I am not questioning your familiarity with Chinese food or with Dim Sum, but I am suggesting you visit Ping Pong again before making your full and final conclusions.

I have read other people's reviews of Chinese food and of Dim Sum on this site and in newspapers and I believe that some other people Do have enough experience of Chinese food to understand what is good or not, regardless of their racial or cultural backgrounds.

We are all interested in food and we are all capable of having an opinion ( mostly expert ) on any foods we are familiar with, regardless of our origins or age or personalities.

don't deny that, never have

afterall everything that I say on egullet is purely an opinion.

and everyone free to express theirs.

But as I already said I will visit ping pong again

if anyone interested in coming along and being a second reviewer let me know.

I've been to Ping Pong twice. It's OK but very bland. Very like Wagamama in this respect.

Chilled or frozen dim sum is becoming commonplace across London - Royal China and many of the restaurants in Chinatown use chilled dim sum from Royal China's associate company Royal Gourmet.

This depresses me. It's not that chilled/frozen dim sum is particularly bad. It's just bland. It reduces dim sum to a factory-produced commodity. It has no soul.

All the best,

--

Ian Fenn

Chopstix

http://www.chopstix.com/

Just recieved a flyer saying that Ping Pong are doing a "eat any item for £1.99" between 3pm and 6pm. Offer excludes set menus and specials, and finishes at the end of October.

So i guess i'll use this offer to try it out myself!

Might see some of you there.

That's one of the things I think you need to be aware of with Ping Pong - in order to make the best of the experience, time your visit carefully. I understand they have two deliveries a day... so the dim sum is at its best before 3pm and between 6-9pm.

All the best,

--

Ian