• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oishii Sushi

In response to an earlier thread, we stopped in at Oishii Sushi tonight. Had a great meal :) We asked about the salmon in green tea sugar, and the chef was happy to make it for us. It was really great. The restaurant is mostly a traditional Japanese sushi restaurant, without a big variety of rolls. They seem to emphasize quality, and, IMHO, they did a great job. They had some tuna imported from Japan tonight, which they made into a carpaccio, delicious. Well worth a visit.

Oh yeah, my wife ordered a modified martini (I can't remember what they called it) but it had ginger juice in it, and a "splash" of sake. The rim was dipped in the green tea sugar. It was different , and very tasty. In fact, she had two :shock: ;) Highly recommended.

At what point is a "modified" Martini not a Martini anymore? Not exactly "Shaken not Stirred" times.... I had the misfortune to be introduced to a "Dirty Martini" a while ago. A Martini with Olive pickle juice splashed in it.... **shudder**. But what the heck - after the third you're numb anyway.

I am keen on doing/hearing about a on comparison between Oishii with Juni...

In response to an earlier thread, we stopped in at Oishii Sushi tonight...

...Highly recommended.

i already said this on another thread, but the fish carpaccio there is a sheer delight. :wub:

and sf&m: please report back if/when you get to Jun i--i am looking forward to trying the place!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

• 4 weeks later...

We're back in Montreal for the week, so we went back to Oishii Sushi for dinner tonight. Once again I requested the green tea sugar salmon :) Really good. Tonight, he had oysters on the menu that were superb as well. This restaurant will be on our regular visit list.

We haven't made it to Jun i yet, but that's scheduled for Wednesday lunch ;)

Is this the same Oishii with other locations in Chestnut Hill and Sudbury, Massachusetts?  One of my favorites.

I'd highly doubt it. This seems to be locally owned by the folks that are running it. The chef introduced himself to me yesterday, as the owner with his partner, who was also working there at the time.

• 1 month later...

i visited Oishii about a month ago, and the meal was decidedly mixed.

on first glance, we were impressed with the decor: wood, and metal, and these really cool textured orange table tops.

the appetisers were uniformly good to great: stand-outs were the (Nobu- or Tojo-inspired?) alaskan black cod, the house-style preparations on rice wafers, and the carpaccio.

if we had stopped there, we would have walked out delighted.

the next wave of fish in rolls and sashimi was mediocre at best. the sashimi plate (usually a chance for the chef to shine) was a disappointment. we asked for no ebi, it first came with ebi, we sent it back, and then it came back with:

-salmon (atlantic)

-tuna

-bbq eel

-smoked salmon

-endives with tobiko (fish roe)

excuse me, but smoked salmon and tobiko on endives on a sashimi plate?! :huh:

the rolls were basically inedible, due, i think, to the overly sweet rice.

[on the drink side: every cocktail is sweet and there is no full bar, so, forget the gin and tonic, should the mood strike you.]

we left wishing we had stopped with the appetisers.

Is this the same Oishii with other locations in Chestnut Hill and Sudbury, Massachusetts?  One of my favorites.

"oishii" means "delicious" in Japanese, so it is not inconceivable every big city might have an (unrelated) sushi restaurant of this name... :smile:

it has been my experience that there are a lot of (unrelated) sushi restaurants called "sakana" ("fish")...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen