• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aahar

Adam P.

There seems to be plenty of Indian restaurants sprouting up in Parsippany lately, but this one seems a little more interesting than the rest. They specialize in many different kinds of breads - especially dosas. I counted 13 different kinds of dosas on the menu, along with puri/poori breads, roti and some others. I'm expecting they may have even more dosas, since they are converting into a non-vegetarian restaurant (as of today).

Today was my first time eating there and I decided to try the masala dosa, which was a giant dosa filled with potatoes, lentils and a light tasty sauce inside. It was served with a fresh coconut and black mustard seed? chutney and sambhar. The dosa was huge, and apparently they have an even bigger sized-one (paper dosa). One of my co-workers ordered the daily lunch special called a Thaali, which is a lunch box filled with various small daily special items. It looked and tasted very good from what I sampled.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food they are churning out. I will definitely be back to sample some more dishes.

Here are a few pictures I took:

Masala Dosa:

gallery_21025_1253_838122.jpg

Thaali:

gallery_21025_1253_53947.jpg

Chana Puri/Poori:

gallery_21025_1253_14873.jpg

Address?

Are those plastic plates?

I don't know the address. I'll post it when I pass by next time. It's located in a small-strip mall on Route 46 East in Parsippany in the same location where the American Lobster Company used to be (quick internet search - 1555 Route 46 East).

And yes, those are plastic plates, as they are a take out place. However, there are plenty of nice wood tables to sit out. There is also an adjacent area that I didn't check out that may be a more formal dining area - I'll take a peek next time.

Hmmm... plastic plates, huh? Reminds me of Little India.  Do the no frills eating implements translate into a no frills price range? How much was your friend's thaali?

My friend's thaali was around $6 I think. They are fairly inexpensive. One of the daily specials was potato and pea samosas for 75 cents each.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone been to this restaurant recently? I went recently after not going for almost a year and the place has changed. It's a dine-in restaurant now, rather than a take-out with paper plates and no-frills service. They now have non-vegetarian items, with one of the most extensive menus I've seen in an Indian restaurant. They literally have 18 types of Dosas and 14 types of bread!

The food is also really good. The tandoori chicken is the best I've had anywhere. Extremely spicy if you ask for it - it sure tasted like they marinated it in habaneros. The chili pakora is done the traditional way, with those long, very hot Indian chilies. I also tried their goat masala which had a nice gelatin coming from the bone marrow with very tender meat. Another dish I tried was Chicken Lababdar, which was great as well - the blend of spices was very unique in this dish.

They also have alot of items I've never seen at any other Indian restaurant, such as Stuffed Pomfret fish, Cabbage Pakora, Reshmi Tikka, Haryalli Tikka and several rice dishes that end in the word Bath.

All in all, good stuff.