• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotch in a pewter flask...

RKHessel

I just found a solid pewter flask that I bought on a trip over 10 years ago. I had filled it with scotch then to mark the occasion of a friends wedding.

I don't want to throw it out, because his anniversary is coming up and I think it would be kind of neat to have a belt from it to mark the anniversary. However, I am worried about the effects of 10 years of not-too-great scotch on the inside of a pewter flask.

Is this stuff still safe to drink, or is there any chance that the pewter has leached into the alcohol, thereby making it undrinkable?

Thanks for your advice!

Very interesting question...

Antique pewter has lead in it -- and I've been trying to figure out the date when that was changed. Modern pewter is lead-free and is really 95% tin with copper and antimony for strength. So I'd like to doubt that your flask is real pewter in which case you could get lead poisoning, however your Scotch may not taste very good and have a "tinny" metallic taste to it.

If you think your flask is in any way "antique," then throw away the contents and don't risk your health on it.

Even if it did leach a bit, one belt for an anniversary isn't going to kill/hurt you. Heavy metal poisoning takes time and multiple exposures, a lot more dose would be necessary than what a shot of scotch could do.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide