• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Passe-Partout

Haapdog

I've heard that it closed...Also, I'm going to be driving up Montreal from New England in a few days and I'm wondering if there's any place new and exciting I should try! As always, your excellent input is greatly appreciated!!!

IMHO the food at Mesquite was just ok. Some similar menu items as the old Benedicts with more emphasis on their "smoked" meats. Was less than impressed with a pulled pork sandwich (very fatty & stringy). BBQ (mesquite) chicken was pretty good. Sides included ho-hum mashed potatoes, good onion strings, ok fries & black bean salsa was enjoyable. Although neither of us tried their ribs, saw many orders coming out. In an advertisement in last week's Suburban, I believe I read they have an all you can eat ribs on Monday pm & something else advertized for Tuesday; suggest you call ahead for a reservation. We were there early evening during mid-week & the place was packed & we loved the ambiance. Added bonus is they deliver to the NDG/Hamstead area. And chef Michael still serves his excellent corn muffins & spicy butter. Like Carswell said, mixed reviews.