• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chaat and chat

Damian

Not sure whether this belongs on this or the NY thread, but after "chatting" with Suvir, I thought it might be fun to get a group to go for chaat at Dimple Chaat House on a weekend afternoon for a quick bite of some Indian treats and to meet people who have kept the India thread alive and interesting.  What do others think?  When would be a good time to go?

After reading all the favourable discussions re: Dimple, I have decided to try it during my visit to NY over the Memorial Day weekend. If anyone is available to join me on Sat. May 25 around noon, I would be delighted to have the company (and the opportunity to sample more things!  :biggrin: ).

If not, can all you seasoned Dimple diners recommend some must try dishes?

Dishes you would not find as easily across t he country and are good at Dimple:

Pav Bhaji

Kachauri Chaat

Sev Puri

Dahi Bataata Puri

Ragda Pattis

Khandvi

Then there are those dishes they make well:

Chana Bhaturas

Onion Uthappam

Try this as a dessert:

Dimple Royal Falooda (It is like an ice-cream Sundae)

PS:  Expect very humble if not unkempt settings.  This is not a place to go for style or chic... it is decent food, some dishes you would not find easily and a consistent place to get some good street food dishes.

Suvir - thanks for the recommendations. Having grown up around Chinatown, I'm quite used to eating great food in humble surroundings - I know I'm there for the food, not for the chic scene. In fact I had decided to go to Dimple over Artisinal because it's that type of food I had the craving for.

Well, mind you, I also booked dinners at Gramercy Tavern, Fleur de Sel, and Bouley for lunch so I've got the other end of the spectrum covered too. :wink: But I do so enjoy eating good food in simple homecooking-type environments.

You will enjoy Dimple then. And if you have some more time .. and enjoy Middle Eastern foods; you may want to try Moustache at Bedford Street in West Village.

A great place to enjoy a slow meal cooked with great love and served similarly.

It gets very busy at night. The Mezze is excellent and the baby lamb ribs are some of the best in NYC. The Chicken Ouzi is also very good.

If you like Pita bread... wait till you try freshly made Pita.  Heaven on earth at every bite.  They are made to order.  Excellent.

The baklava is very nice.  Not too sweet.  Made at the restaurant.  The Basboussa (farina and honey cake) served with yogurt if you ask for, is excellent.  

Loomi ( a drink made from dry black limes) is a great refreshing drink.

The freshly squeezed orange juice takes me back to Djama El Fna in Marrakesh.

They have Ayran, a salty Lassi (yogurt based drink) that goes very well with this food.

Mmm - sounds right up my alley. I love fresh pita, and always prefered Middle eastern Baklava to the Greek variety. I used to work for two Lebanese brothers who would bring fresh batches of baklava to the office. Our Christmas parties were always held in their favorite Lebanese restaurant...along with belly dancers - hmm were we there for the food or the dancers.... we'll never know but the food was excellent.

Is Moustache open for lunch on Sunday? If not maybe I'll see if they're open on Monday and I can have something quick before I go to a show that night. Thanks for the great suggestion - too little time - so much good food..... :confused:

Moustache is open for lunch Sunday.

Go late.. and remember.. this is not a lunch place.

They open it for lunch for neighborhood die hard fans like me.

Not a scene at lunch time. But still as good.. in fact better in my book.. for it is not too crowded.

Monday lunch would be good as well.

If you like hot things.. ask them for Harissa (hot chilies in oil and with spices).  They make it in house.  It is the tastiest harissa I have had.

And you are right about Middle Eastern Baklava.  I much prefer it to the Greek one.  

Oriental Baker in Brooklyn is amazing for middle eastern sweets.  It is opposite Sahadis, the famous grocery store on Atlantic Avenue.

And did you read my post above?

I would be able to join you for lunch at Dimple on Saturday the 25th of May.  

Maybe others too can join us.

Suvir, it would be an honour to meet you for lunch at Dimple and hopefully we can get others to join us as well. I was thinking that it would be great if you could be there because then I could sample some of those special chili peppers that you are so privileged to get.

I love harrissa - when I visited Tunisia with my boyfriend at the time, we always asked for harrissa and they would always be amazed at these foreigners who would polish off the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I can second the recommendation of Moustache.  Not least because the lady who runs it and its sister restaurant Mamlouk in the East Village is the mother of the very special person I mention in my review of Jo Jo's in " The Majumdar Brothers Do Dallas" on the General Boards.

I have had many wonderful meals at both places and both have a place of affection in my heart.

I am sorry I will not be able to join you at Dimple.  It is excellent.  Perhaps on my next visit in August

S

Looking forward to this. I couldn't wait any longer and had to satisfy my craving last weekend. I went out for some pav bhaji, rasa vada, bhel, and rava masala dosa. Then I picked up a box of sweets - ghari, kala kand, kaji pista roll, badam burfi, mango burfi, chocolate burfi (out of curiousity - wouldn't have it again), and something that was like a dense doughnut with icing glaze.

Then I bought three cans of alphonso mango pulp for mango lassis , and a package of frozen ready-to-cook aloo palak (potato and spinach) stuffed parathas. They were surprisingly good - pop onto a hot pan, watch them puff up - eat- yum.