• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

August

effrontery

Hi all--been reading all your enjoyable posts for a little while now, and finally decided to join and dive in. I didn't see a particular topic for introductions, so I hope it's OK to start a new topic and introduce myself in the process!

Can't remember where I first heard about eGullet, but I'm excited I found you all. I've been an aspiring foodie since I read my first Holly Moore column in CP while in college. It's great to find other Philadelphians all in one place who feel just as passionately about food, and enjoy talking about it as much as eating it.

On to my question. Has anybody eaten at August yet? (It's at 13th and Wolf, I think.) As far as I can remember, I haven't read any reviews (I didn't even know it existed), but a friend has been raving about it--thought I'd like to try it out. But would love to hear your impressions first.

Thanks--good to be here and look forward to getting to know everybody.

Joyce

hi joyce--welcome!

i ate at august i guess a little over a year ago, near when it first opened. wait it couldn't be two years ago, could it? it was cold... anyway, i remember high quality ingredients, and well prepared dishes--not stuff that was overly showy or creative, but very good. i don't remember the specifics of the dishes or anything because it was so long ago, but my memories of the place are positive...

Welcome effrontery! Hope to see you around here more often!

I had dinner at August a few months ago prior to seeing Bette Midler at the Wachovia Center and had a lovely dinner. As mrbigjas stated, I recall high quality ingredients put together in an unfussy and well thought out manner. Service was also excellent.

Oddly and cosmically there is a huge Bette Midler mural/poster on one wall that my friend and I thought was a very strange coincidence since we were on our way to the show that night. The folks at the next table were headed to the concert too. None of us had ever been there before. It was very weird. :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I haven't been there, but I knew I had read about it.

Craig LaBan gave it one bell :sad: ...but I don't always agree with Mr. LaBan's taste buds.

And here's an excerpt of one from Citypaper, courtesy of PhillyLunchBox -- scroll down the page a bit.

I know Philadelphia Weekly also reviewed the place, but I can't find the link -- sorry!