• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brockton/Bridgewater area?

bobmac

Whoa...

This thread caught my eye because I am originally from West Bridgewater... Can't believe anyone is asking where to eat there. My rec's are limited because I only go back one or two times a year.

Brockton-- Christo's, home of the greek salad. Good stuff.

Also Brockton-- Cape Cod Cafe. Okay it's a bar, I don't care. Terrific little pizzas. My favorite is linguica, my other favorite is onion. If I were rich enough I would have the pizza helicoptered to my home on occasion. Is it that good? No, but it's what I grew up with, so I miss it.

There isn't really anywhere to eat lunch in Bridgewater except for chain restaurants; Friendly's, Papa Gino's, D'Angelo etc. Actually, there are a bunch of mediocre pizza houses near Bridgewater State College, and there's also a diner downtown called "My Sister and I", I think, but I've never tried it. Not sure if The Chatta Box (755 Bedford St.) is open for lunch, but they make an okay Thai curry.

Then, there's the StoneForge, nice for lunch, but just outside Bridgewater.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Trish,

I am also originally from West Bridgewater. Heading back there for my mother's burial service and a friend who visits there often also recommended Christo's. We were hoping for something a little more formal, not that there's anything wrong with Christo's, and finally decided to eat back in Boston.

As for Cape Cod Cafe pizza, it's the best. Our friend regularly gets it for us. Unfortunately, if you freeze it and reheat it, it's not like fresh, but ... I've been trying to figure out for years what their secret is. Of course, Christo's pizza isn't bad either.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Bobmac... Sorry to hear about your mom. You have piqued my curiosity.... everyone in W.B. knows everyone else... do you have sisters Sue and Kathy....?

Edited to add... I can't think of any upscale restaurants in that area.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Trish,

No, I had a sister Judy. Does everybody still know everybody? I had the impression it had grown. I haven't lived there for 30-something years.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

I haven't lived there for 30 years either, but my mom still does. I left and never turned back, was not my favorite place. There are still families there from when I grew up. I thought you might be one of the MacDonalds, they had a bunch of kids.

Do you remember the Chuck Wagon restaurant? That place was a laff riot. The guy taking the order would repeat it loudly over a microphone so everyone in the whole restaurant could hear it, yet he was standing a foot away from the cook. Only in W.B.

I have a very faint memory of the Chuck Wagon -- pub grub as I recall, not bad for what it was. There was a long-time restaurant run by Bob and Ken Fisher, called, I believe Ken and Bob's or maybe Bob and Ken's. I can't believe a city the size of Brockton doesn't have better restaurants. Capeway Manor just closed and I recall that as being good.

--Nick DePaolo

I don't recall Bob & Ken's...never went to Capeway Manor... We lived closer to Easton, and two "fancy" places, if you can call them that, were LePage's Steakhouse--excellent steak which you ordered by the ounce, and the 400 Club, which served continental fare. 400 is gone, don't know if LePage's is still around.