• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Friesengeist

maher

I was introduced to the glories of something called Friesengeist at a birthday celebration last week. A bottle was produced by a friend that seems to have reduced the rest of the evening to a blur.

The liquor comes in a full bottle (70cl) of a clear spirit as well as a small bottle of amber coloured liquid (5cl) I guess that what you do is mix the two together, and light them before drinking? does anyone have any more feedback on this drink? what the traditional technique is for drinking it .... etc?

I was introduced to the glories of something called Friesengeist at a birthday celebration last week. A bottle was produced by a friend that seems to have reduced the rest of the evening to a blur.

The liquor comes in a full bottle (70cl) of a clear spirit as well as a small bottle of amber coloured liquid (5cl) I guess that what you do is mix the two together, and light them before drinking? does anyone have any more feedback on this drink? what the traditional technique is for drinking it .... etc?

Very, very basically it is a schnapps from the Essen area of Germany: A traditional and strong spirit. If memory serves, it takes its name from a local island.

I am going out on a limb here: A literal translation of the world "Friesengeist " might be something like "the essence of a military fever". "Geist" means 'ghost' 'spirit' 'soul' 'imagination' and so on. "Friesen" (plural of Friesel) is ( sorry) blisters associated with what is known as military fever.

I'd rather think of it the name as a charmingly parochial way of describing the effects of this herbal beverage. Schnapps is, virtually by definitiion, a potent substance. My relatives never bothered lighting it before consuming. From their perspective, why burn off the alcohol? But, a little bit of ceremony adds to the festivities!

Here is the web site.  I'll read through it and translate some good parts later today.

Here is some of it. Not that interesting, unfortunately.

Original Freisengeist is the typical national speciality which one enjoys in a cosy round, served burning. After about a minute one extinguishes it with the whimsical little pan and drinks it immediately from the still warm glass.

The rest of it is all "original recipe" this and "old tradition" that.

--