• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi all. I had the mixed fortune to go to Majorca for a (package) holiday last year. However, we were in a nice little fishing town with some nice restaurants.

Anyway enough of the postcard, I tried sobrasada, which is a kind of spreadable chorizo, and my tastebuds fell in love. I've tried searching on the net (checked Brindisa and Lupe Pintos) for stockists in the UK to no avail. Does anyone know where I can get this stuff? Any good Spanish delis your way?

(sorry its not directly restaurant-related, but you lot know all things foody!)

I have yet to find a source of sobrasada in London - I too love it, esepcially the picante version!  It does keep for a while and strangely enough they have a very similar product in southern Italy called something very similar - sopressada or something like that, which is slightly spicier.  A good Italian deli may stock this.

It is great used as a stuffing for chicken but my idea of heaven is soft Majorcan rolls, spread with Sobrasada and chopped sweet Spanish onion, sitting on the beach with a cold can of beer.......somehow it would be right in England!

Otherwise I resort to asking friends visiting Majorca to bring some back for me!

Thanks Countess, I'll look out for the Italian version and I know remember a friend who is visiting Majorca in a month, so problem possibly solved short-term!

I tried it as you said– on bread with onion – and it was delicious but I also had it on pizza with sugar sprinkled on top. It sounds horrendous but if you have a sweet tooth like me, it really is very moreish!

• 3 weeks later...

Countess (anyone else wanting Spanish food!)

I have found a website called www.agapes.com, which sells sobrasada for about £8. It also sells pata negra, spanish cheeses & oils, mebrillo, etc. All looks very nice but its about 18 euros (£11-12) for delivery for orders under 100 euros.

I used to buy the spreadable sobrasada in the Lina Stores on Brewer Street in Soho, and delicious it was.  I am going back several years, but since Lina is in a Soho timewarp, I expect they still have it.

Thanks for the Lina lead - will check it out next time I'm in Soho

On the subject of Spanish food, Waitrose used to do a fab carton of Gazpacho called Don Simon or something similar - in the chill cabinet next to the fruit juices.  They don't seem to stock it this year, despite my constant requests to the manager at our local branch - anyone know if anywhere else stocks it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure that this helps, but I have a large Spanish store next to my flat in Edinburgh which sells the item in question. I bought some last night out of curiosity, after reading this thread. Nice! I tasted some and used some to rub into a chicken I was roasting. It has some great cooking properties as it turns into a dryish paste, rather then turning into a solid "disc" and it doesn't burn when heated. The fat which drains out was excellent on the roasted potatos, turned them a nice scarlet colour. Sells for fifteen quid per kilo.

• 1 year later...

There is a little store near Alexandra Palace called "alsur", I haven't been, but a friend has been bringing me all kinds of goodies, they may have what you like...

7 Crescent Road - London N22 7RP - 0208 374 3544 - alsurspain@blueyonder.co.uk

The card I have has Hannah Filmer as a contact name.

Let me know if you go

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~