• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hail Caesar?

Feedbag

This thread inspired me to make my own caesar dressing the other night. I used a splash of cider vinegar, a dash of lime juice (had no lemon juice) an egg, a couple cloves of garlic, some salt, black pepper, and poured in the olive oil while blending till it got nice and creamy. Wow, it does have a good taste, but not quite what I expect from a caesar. Mine is garlickier than I usually taste, and the fact that I was out of parm cheese sorta hurts it, but still, it tastes very good, I will be looking for a good one in a restaurant now as well.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I use raw egg when I make it myself and have

never killed anyone. But you're right, I've heard

warnings that the elderly and super-sensitive should

not consume raw eggs, but anyone else should be

fine. Apparently the way they manufacture eggs

these days, their bacteria content is way low?

I'm fine with the not making it in front of you thing.

I just would like a good one, and suggestions on

this thread reassured me they're still out there somewhere.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, actually it's not until the last couple years that the REALLY food-friendly folk posited the theory that only those with comprimised immune systems should be concerned about raw egg.

As far as I would conservatively guess about 70 percent of those in the US (a figure I arbitrarily pulled out of my ass) would tell you that you are likely to die or get very sick from eating raw eggs...I am excluding those over 80 and those who are extremely fond of Rocky.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Many long years ago I was a callow lad making Caesar salad in a local Community College Dining Room-raw egg and all.

Never killed anyone although the Parmesan came out of a cardboard container already grated-if you could stomach that crud you could eat anything. :biggrin:

Many long years ago I was a callow lad making Caesar salad in a local Community College Dining Room-raw egg and all.

Never killed anyone although the Parmesan came out of a cardboard container already grated-if you could stomach that crud you could eat anything. :biggrin:

Yup!

That's the spirit!

:laugh:

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.