• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greater Seattle

Now that we've lived in WA for 3 years I've decided it's time to see (EAT) a little more of Seattle than what is walking distance from the ferry.

As the days (finally!) are starting to get a little longer we're thinking of bringing the car over on the ferry so that we can explore some of the neighborhoods and end with dinner at restaurants that will be new to us.

I'm starting from scratch and only have a vague idea of places like Fremont, Ballard, etc.

So, thinking of me as a tourist, what are some of the areas that might be fun for us to investigate.

THANKS!

Foodie-Girl Char

As spring approaches, and Farmer Markets start their seasonal events, you could select a neighborhood based on the day of the week the market is set up, ie, University on Saturday, Ballard on Sunday, Columbia City on Wednesday...once you know the day, the restaurant and other adventures will pour in.

Since the market is year round, you might start with Ballard - don't miss Cafe Besalu for lovely pastry. Dandelion would be a good dinner spot, or Oxaca (did I spell that right?) Not sure who is/isn't open for dinner on Sunday. Lots of other choices as well, and fun little shops.

As spring approaches, and Farmer Markets start their seasonal events, you could select a neighborhood based on the day of the week the market is set up, ie, University on Saturday, Ballard on Sunday, Columbia City on Wednesday...once you know the day, the restaurant and other adventures will pour in.

Since the market is year round, you might start with Ballard - don't miss Cafe Besalu for lovely pastry. Dandelion would be a good dinner spot, or Oxaca (did I spell that right?) Not sure who is/isn't open for dinner on Sunday. Lots of other choices as well, and fun little shops.

***Hi tsquare..thanks for the great start.

With a weekend work schedule to contend with, our Seattle visits will be during the week...

Ballard sounds like a good starting-place. Fun shops/good restaurants...yeah!

I'll check-out Cafe Besalu and Dandeliion...THANKS

There are still many markets open on weekdays once they start.

I think Queen Anne is cute, small and easy to check out! Start at the 5 Spot for breakfast then walk off the meal and shop in the boutiques heading north. Stop in at Les Gourmand Cadoux (sp) for salt carmels!!

Lunch at Ototo sushi, Barbacoa or even Paragon. wine taste at McCarthy & Sheiling (sp). Visit the butcher!

Drive west on McGraw and go to Macrina bakery.

Back down at the bottom of Queen Anne see a movie at the Uptown. Have happy hour or dinner at Peso's or Ten Mercer.

Check out the east side of the hill- Crow, Big Nabob, Panos Greek Taverna. Have a coffee at the espresso place right there. Go to the ballet.

ok, maybe a weekend on QA would be better!

If you are gonna do Queen Anne, here's a few other ideas:

The Queen Anne Cafe also does classic diner breakfasts, and their line out the door on weekends is just as long as the one at the 5-Spot. There's the little spot across the street from there that I don't know much about :-/ Its called Butterfly now or something such. No trip to Q.A. would be complete without having a chicken taco from Malena's, down across the street from Macrina's. There's a little deli/shop on the west side of Q.A. that I've not be in for awhile but I can't help but think that area of Q.A. is being neglected and a good restaurant should go in there ;-) And we have our local Chinoise location across the street from Ototo, which does a killer business. Probably the top crowd pleaser of all the restaurants on the hill, its always busy. There's an indian restaurant (Banjara) on the corner there but I've not tried it since its gotten new owners. The Thai place there is also pretty good (Orrapin).

Born Free, Now Expensive

Thanks Malarkey! Boy, I've got so many great suggestions now!

As for weekend lines...well, the good part of being free during the week is that we avoid much of the crowds...the bad part is that we miss many of the cook-alongs )-:

Can't have it all.....or can I??....LOL

• 3 weeks later...

If you dont mind the horrors of the eastside, you may want to check out downtown kirkland on the second thursday of each month (I think) for the Art Walk. Downtown Kirkland has a bunch of galleries that are all open houses that evening.

You can grab dinner at Thin Pan for Thai or Third Floor Fish Cafe for a nice view and a bit more upscale dinner. Then take a walk along the water during the sunset. Ben and Jerry's is close by if you are hankering for a cone.

It really is quite a nice little downtown.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

If you dont mind the horrors of the eastside, you may want to check out downtown kirkland on the second thursday of each month (I think) for the Art Walk.  Downtown Kirkland has a bunch of galleries that are all open houses that evening. 

You can grab dinner at Thin Pan for Thai or Third Floor Fish Cafe for a nice view and a bit more upscale dinner.  Then take a walk along the water during the sunset.  Ben and Jerry's is close by if you are hankering for a cone.

It really is quite a nice little downtown.

Ben

***Thanks for the great suggestion, Ben! Kirkland was one of our little expeditions when we first moved here.

We did visit the art galleries...had a great seafood lunch right on the water (can't remember the name of the restaurant) and then dinner at Cafe Juanita (?) unless I'm mixing it up with another little trip.

But, yes, the town is charming and we really enjoyed it! Thanks again.