• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sancerre

ctgm

I am off to Sancerre next week, and have quite a full appointment list but I think that I could slip a couple of people in. Just wondering whether there were any properties that are "undiscovered" that really should be visited. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

I am off to Sancerre next week, and have quite a full appointment list but I think that I could slip a couple of people in. Just wondering whether there were any properties that are "undiscovered" that really should be visited. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

:biggrin: i admire your request. "IF" there is an undiscovered property left in sancerre, u will certainly be the 1st visitor!!! :biggrin:

Who is on your itinerary? I just want to avoid recommending someone who is already on your list. I'll also have Bruce Schneier (eGullet name "schneier") look at this post. He recently returned from several months in the Loire.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I would try and visit Domaine Thomas-LaBaille

Single vineyard old vine sancerre "Les Monts Damnes".

BTW, several Sancerre producers source Les Monts Damnes. I know you knew that, but the rest reading might not.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I would try and visit Domaine Thomas-LaBaille

Single vineyard old vine sancerre "Les Monts Damnes".

Unfortunately this is well represented in the UK by Fields who are owned by berry Bros! Think now that we might have filled our appointments

Gitton

Bardin

Crochet, Daniel and Lucien

Delaporte

Lemain-Pouillot

Tissier

Will confess to not knowing a lot about the last 2 so if anyone has thoughts.....

Edited by ctgm (log)

Gitton

Bardin

Delaporte

Lemain-Pouillot

Tissier

Will confess to not knowing a lot about the last 2 so if anyone has thoughts.....

Never heard of Lemain-Pouillot. Some Tissier comes into the U.S., but I've never had it. A few missing that you may want to visit if you have time are Alphonse Mellot, Jean-Paul Picard, Roger Moreux, and Francois Cotat (although these are hardly "undiscovered").

Gitton

Bardin

Delaporte

Lemain-Pouillot

Tissier

Never heard of Lemain-Pouillot. Some Tissier comes into the U.S., but I've never had it. A few missing that you may want to visit if you have time are Alphonse Mellot, Jean-Paul Picard, Roger Moreux, and Francois Cotat (although these are hardly "undiscovered").

Cotat and Henri Bourgeois would be my choices.

Cotat and Bourgeois are as you say not "undiscovered" and are well represented. Think that Lemain-P used to be a baker and took over from his father. It was a friends choice to see (I share shipping with his company to lessen overheads and stock holdings).

but the Alphonse Mellot, Jean-Paul Picard and Roger Moreux may be worth a look! Many thanks.