• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Madeleine Cafe

Richard Kilgore

There has been a dramatic improvement in pastries at La Madeleine over the past year or so. A manager at one location told me they bake most items at each location, rather than at a central commissary. So Pastry-Eating-Companion (PEC) and I had breakfast at La Madeleine this morning. Not your high protein breakfast: she and I shared Creme Brulee, Strawberry Napoleon, Strawberries Romanoff and Tiramisu. Simple things for the most part well done. The top cake layer on the Napoleon was a little tough (stale?) which made for a bit of a mess when cut by PEC. The creme brulee was creamy and good, but perhaps not as flavorful as I prefer. On the other hand, PEC considers herself to be an experienced judge of Tiramisu, and pronounced this the best she has ever eaten.

Over the years I have ventured to three La Madeleines here in the Houston area, downtown in the tunnel, Westheimer and the Bay Area. My standard for judgement was the tomato basil soup. At some point, I couldn't find the basil so I quit going. I think I may give them another try.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I hate to disagree with PEC, but I have tried their Tiramisu on a couple of occasions because it looks good. It never tasted good though, always tasted like it was made with packaged pudding and had an artificial taste. Maybe your location is different, who knows. If I go there for breakfast I stick with the croissants, or French Toast (their crepes are a disgrace for the product). I do have a very soft spot for their Creme Brulee Tart though, especially if it is fresh and the pastry is not yet too soft.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I was reading Rachel Ray's $40 a Day Guide Book and in the part about Dallas she has La Madeleine in there and she has a little into saying that she was flooded with angry letters from people when the Dallas episode was aired because she went to a chain and also didn't take advantage of any of the local places, etc, etc. She told everyone to lighten up and to not be such a snob. I thought that was a great response even though it's a shame she didn't go to Cafe Brazil.....

BTW, in the book she didn't go to Houston. If you were willing to drive around a bit, it would be super easy to have some great food and drink in Houston for under $40 a day.

I was reading Rachel Ray's $40 a Day Guide Book and in the part about Dallas she has La Madeleine in there and she has a little into saying that she was flooded with angry letters from people when the Dallas episode was aired because she went to a chain and also didn't take advantage of any of the local places, etc, etc.  She told everyone to lighten up and to not be such a snob.  I thought that was a great response even though it's a shame she didn't go to Cafe Brazil.....

BTW, in the book she didn't go to Houston.  If you were willing to drive around a bit, it would be super easy to have some great food and drink in Houston for under $40 a day.

It is pretty sad that she went to Dallas and one of the few places that she go to visit was this one! It's not about being a snob, I am sure Dallas has far more interesting low cost joints that tourists are better off visiting.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I agree, it would not be the first place I would think of to recommend to a visitor, but I can see why she might choose it: it's a small chain, started in Dallas by a Frenchman. It's a popular place with a warm, comfortable interior, and you could certainly do much worse. It was probably pretty photogenic.

It is pretty sad that she went to Dallas and one of the few places that she go to visit was this one! It's not about being a snob, I am sure Dallas has far more interesting low cost joints that tourists are better off visiting.

Elie

But she did visit Monica's Acca y Alla in Deep Ellum - at least omn the Dallas TV episode she did. I've gone there on a few of my Dallas work related trips (I was always stuck downtown without a car) and had decent food. Not outstanding but okay and a fairly good value for the money. P

erhaps she tries to visit places in different parts of a city and therefore did not include Cafe Brazil? (it's always my choice for dessert and iced coffee drinks when in that neighborhood).