• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onera

jogoode

I really cant say enough complimentary things about this place.. Its really just perfect.. The service, the food, the drinks, the space could not be better.. I have gone there the last two Fridays when the place was working to capacity.. Everything tasted and looked as if it was the only thing that came out of the kitchen.. The chef is just so talented and creative.. Last night, I started dinner with my girlfriend when a friend called to tell me he was going to be in the neighborhood.. We were more then happy to completely start dinner over again.. By this time only the appetizers came out so we stopped the dinner and re-ordered appetizers..

The menu is divided with such thought and intelligence. Its really fun to navigate through mixing and matching courses.. However great his tasting menu is, I find it just as fun to create my own..

As I said, last night my friend and the girl he was with surprised us.. I was allowed to order for everyone.. There was not one dish that wasnt unique and solid.. Some people were trying ingrediants for the first time and they happily ate things they might not have ever tried or ordered..

We started (twice)with a Mez of five fish dishes.. I dont have a menu and dont want to do the injustice of improperly describing the mans work.. I also I think these rose shots we drank and the oozo certainly doesnt help..

Just a great sampeling of fresh fish..

gallery_15057_2187_399760.jpg

Bite:

Here is Sea Urchin..

gallery_15057_2187_413700.jpg

One of my favorites..This scallop.. Oh this scallop..

gallery_15057_2187_74401.jpg

In no particular order...

Ravioli:

gallery_15057_2187_293487.jpg

Scallop

gallery_15057_2187_79401.jpg

Open faced mousakka:

gallery_15057_2187_178085.jpg

Lamb :

gallery_15057_2187_312340.jpg

Crispy bacalao:

gallery_15057_2187_146782.jpg

Sweet breads:

gallery_15057_2187_706907.jpg

Ended dinner with a tasting of four different rose dishes and the Halavah pictured up thread..

The chef here really makes the restaurant.. He is every where at once and does not stop perfecting things.. I think this sums up the pride this man has.. On his way back to the kitchen after serving someone there food, he stopped to fold napkins.. This is with a full staff of busers that were waiting to do it... If he takes the time to make a napkin perfect, what do you think has gone into the preperation of your food..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I think there is a pretty good argument to be made that Onera is

1. The best upscale Greek restaurant in New York

2. The best restaurant north of Jean Georges on the west side

It's a phenomenal addition to the neighborhood.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Dryden I think I could help make those arguments.. Good news or maybe bad news for Onera.. In addition to the chef taping for Iron Chef America in the next few weeks, he is also opening another restaurant.. I dont know many of the specifics but its going to be a large place on the Upper Eastside.. A group of investors are wisely backing him on his next venture.. Knowing what lazer like focus he has, its going to be amazing..

• 3 months later...

My first visit to Onera last night left me somewhat underwhelmed. The decor has certainly improved since the old 222, although a few patches of unfinished paint job along the ceiling are altogether too noticeable in a space that small. Service was fine, although our very young and I suspect novice waiter hovered far too much, as did the busboys eager to yank away our plates the minute we looked like we were done. It says much for the cooking that we denied them this pleasure in order to sop up the left over sauces with the bread that was graciously replenished – although it also says much for the dainty portion sizes that we both required so much bread to begin with. For $12 I got two teeny sweetbreads the size of standard marshmallows – beautiful, but somewhat miserly. My companion’s octopus salad, though, was a revelation – I would happily go back just for that… and then down to Nice Matin for a burger. People who think they don’t like octopus should be sped without delay to Onera and made to sample this spectacular dish. My veal and his lamb were both fine, if not remarkable. Likewise the selection of cheeses from across the three genres offered. The glass each of sparkling wine and the bottle of red we had (one of the very few selections available for less than $50) were both disappointing. The $185 for the two of us did not, I feel, quite match the quality of what we got.

Overall, Spiga is doing much the same sort of thing -- in terms of menu, if not presentation -- but, in my opinion, at a higher level and considerably lower cost.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

I am sorry to hear it was less then perfect.. Supposedly, Chef has left the restaurant to open a new place.. I have not been back since he left.. I wonder if anyone has heard any news on the new place or seen food quality decline at Onera..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Has he actually left? I was under the impression that the new place was in addition...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Overall, Spiga is doing much the same sort of thing -- in terms of menu, if not presentation -- but, in my opinion, at a higher level and considerably lower cost.

Out of curiosity, how is Spiga doing much the same thing as Onera considering that they are 2 totally different cuisines? Not sure I follow the train of thought...

I am sorry to hear it was less then perfect.. Supposedly, Chef has left the restaurant to open a new place.. I have not been back since he left.. I wonder if anyone has heard any news on the new place or seen food quality decline at Onera..

yes!

he's also the chef at dona. which just opened last monday.

here's my review:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=84161

My first visit to Onera last night left me somewhat underwhelmed.  The decor has certainly improved since the old 222, although a few patches of unfinished paint job along the ceiling are altogether too noticeable in a space that small.  Service was fine, although our very young and I suspect novice waiter hovered far too much, as did the busboys eager to yank away our plates the minute we looked like we were done.

i know some 23-27 year old waiters who could charm the pants off the most demanding guests while running circles around the more "Experienced" older waiters who are jaded, tired, slow, and just dont give a shit anymore.

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

• 3 months later...

Dinner at Onera last night. The sweetbreads were available as an appetizer special. One of our group of eight likes them so much she ordered this as her main course. I had the grilled octopus appetizer which was not exactly what I expected. It was dense and a bit mushy in texture and lacking any grilled flavor. The grilled loin of lamb entree was cooked perfectly. The little bit of tzatziki made it very rich and I couldn't finish my plate! We shared four desserts and all were wonderful. There weren't complaints about any of the food but the whole table raved about the desserts. Service was good and the waiter was very helpful in steering us to a dish when we couldn't make up our minds. Everything recommended was excellent.

KathyM