• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry Blossoms

jogoode

Does anyone have an idea about where I could find cherry blossoms in New York? I'm not sure if they're sold fresh here, but salted or otherwise preserved would be fine. I've tried Katagiri and Sunrise Mart.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Maybe Takashimaya will have it? Sounds like a luxury item. The JAS Mart on St. Marks' might also have it; that's the biggest JAS Mart in Manhattan, I think.

What sort of food stores are in Takashimaya? I've never been to the one in New York -- the one only in Tokyo. Thanks, Pumpkin Lover.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The best source for anything japanese is still Mitsuwa across the river (they have shuttles going there from 42nd St). If I remember correctly I think I have seen them in their salted and pickled form at the store. Since this is a "spring" item I think they were only avalible during that period.

Takashimaya might be a possibility but I highly doubt it (still the best source for teas though!!!).

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Dude, JJ, you got me! I haven't been to the Takashimaya in Manhattan. If it's anything like the one in Tokyo, however: it will have expensive, luxury food items, kind of like a Dean & Deluca. Zeitoun's right, it had a great selection of teas, chocolates, and candies. I went to Tokyo in the spring of 2003, and at that time, Takashimaya carried a lot of sakura items, like sakura candies and ice cream. So, maybe try there, but now that Zeitoun's mentioned Mitsuwa, it seems to me that NJ might be a better bet.

But, if you do go to Takashimaya, tell us what they have down in the food area. :smile:

But, if you do go to Takashimaya, tell us what they have down in the food area. :smile:

The food section is located in the basement. As far as food is concerned there isn't much to offer. I am sure the takashimaya in Tokyo (never been) must have a better selection. They mainly sell a decent variety of pre-packaged "luxury" sweets. Tea is what they are really great for and you will be amazed by the variety. Even if you are not bying tea (very expensive of course!!) it is still worth the trip just to check it out!

They also sell pastries from Lady M which are very good (cakes and tarts) which I would qualify as euro-japanese pastry since she makes items such as "mille-crepe" and "mont blanc" which you will only find in "euro style" Japanese bakeries.

There is a nice little cafe also where you can sit down and enjoy both Lady M pastries and Takashimaya tea.

- Slightly off topic: their flower shop is gorgeous -

If I remember correctly, last year in April, Josh DeChellis at Sumile Restaurant (could someone confirm this?) had a full course menu themed around Sakura (Cherry Blossoms). I did not have a chance to go :sad: but keep an eye on the menu this year if anybody is interested.

If I remember correctly, last year in April,  Josh DeChellis at Sumile Restaurant (could someone confirm this?) had a full course menu themed around Sakura (Cherry Blossoms).  I did not have a chance to go :sad: but keep an eye on the menu this year if anybody is interested.

He's doing it again this year. And giving a sakura-themed dinner at James Beard House to launch it.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

He's doing it again this year. And giving a sakura-themed dinner at James Beard House to launch it.

Great, thanks for the info JJ. I'll try not to miss it this year..

I checked out Takashimaya this afternoon to take a look-see. The food area is nowhere near as big as the Takashimayas in Japan. I tried inquiring about cherry blossoms, but all I could get was that any cherry blossom product wouldn't be in until the spring. Even sakura tea! Bummer.

I did buy some of the Takashimaya Rose tea, though. :wub: