• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

plantain emergency

Chufi

When I have plantains I usually just fry or roast them (ripe plantains roast up beautifully using much less fat than frying)... but those piononos sound delicious. I'll have to try that out some time.

Roast!??!?!? But anything fried is good!

My plantains are turning yellow much more quickly than I expected. It's awfully warm in Japan right now.

I think I'll take one and make piononos (after ripening a bit more), let one ripen even more and just fry them (or roast, because I really do need to cut down on my fat intake and my fat belly), and then maybe I'll freeze the third if I can find room in my teeny tiny fridge.

Why not wrap it up with spring roll wrapper (lumpia wrapper) and then deep-fry it? When it's almost done, throw in a handful of brown sugar, let the caramel thoroughly coat the rolls. Drain and let cool before biting into one - heaven!

PS. we call this banana turon.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Why not wrap it up with spring roll wrapper (lumpia wrapper) and then deep-fry it? When it's almost done, throw in a handful of brown sugar, let the caramel thoroughly coat the rolls. Drain and let cool before biting into one - heaven!

PS. we call this banana turon.

Are turon made with plantains? I always thought they were made with saba, which are a lot shorter and stubbier than plantains. Or are saba another type of plantain?

The wrapping is actually a little more work than I wanted to do. I'm a lazy eater, you know!