• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mercadito

SobaAddict70

Nonchalant service contributes to the vibe, which is sometimes too loose and easy for its own good.

One server sat down next to us on a banquette to take our order. Another bobbled a plate of baked oysters as he put it on the table, so that the oysters ended up in one big, messy heap.

"There goes the presentation!" he laughed and wandered merrily away.

Fried oysters on a bed of corn salsa were an unexpected treat. The baked oysters were tucked under a pleasantly salty quilt of manchego cheese and chorizo.

Chef Patricio Sandoval, formerly of Maya and Pampano, offers a transformatory outlook on Mexican food.

Mercadito (Frank Bruni)

Soba

• 8 months later...

I got food from this gem of a place twice last week and I was impressed both times. There are three different typers of guacamole on the menu, they are expensive but very very good. I especially like the Ancho guacamole, which is unusual and addictive and comes with tortilla chips that are still warm. The fish taco is also very nice as well, with deep fried fish pieces and 4 little tortillas. I heard that there this a whole fried fish on the menu that is superb although I haven't tried it. And, the pork is supposed to be phenomenal, but someone else will have to tell me that. As with most mexican food, this is better if you go with a crowd and share different dishes. But for the misanthropes out there, the place delivers in the East Village area, and the food arrives fast and in above average condition.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I got food from this gem of a place twice last week and I was impressed both times. 

I looked it up and there are many bad reviews by people saying it's too expensive for what you get... My sources are menupages.com, nymetro.com, and wcities.com. newyork.citysearch.com has nothing bad to say (impartial ???), but it sounds expensive and not very friendly.

I'd like to see more member reviews, as I'm going out there Nov. 3.

John S.

It is expensive but the quality is a little better than the average mexican place. As for service, I did not find any faults with it, but then again I wasn't asking for much.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

• 4 weeks later...

I had dinner at Mercadito last Saturday night with 2 others. The place is very small and seems a bit crazy but the people were very nice. We sat downstairs which is so less cramped than upstairs.

Started by ordering a round a margarita's.....and waiting about 15 mins for them to arrive.

We had the regular quacamole with chips which was quite good.

Then shared the tacos de cameron, tacos de mole poblano and the tacos de carne.

All were quite good but the service was REALLY slow. And the drinks were a bit weak. But it is a fun place and I'd go back with a group (if we had reservations downstairs!)

• 2 years later...

Went last night on a whim walking down Ave B - never been but know the name.

Lime margarita on the rocks, not bad, maybe a bit on the limey rather than tequila-ey side.

Started with mango guacamole - the first disappointment at $10 - an oxidized-brown small pile of avocado on a sad little bowl. Barely enough mango to call it so. Don't serve guac like this when rosa is serving it tableside and fresh for $4 more (unfair comparison, i know, but come on!).

Next an order of mahimahi quesadillas and pork tradicional tacos.

Now my spanish is limited, but I do know that quesadilla involves cheese (little cheese thing) and the few shavings of queso on top of the 5 small corn taco-things (closer to a small tostada) don't put them in the realm of quesadillas.

Tacos were not bad, but they weren't good either.

Forgiving that they completely forgot our order of rice & beans and managed to put them on the check?

Still disappointing.