• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Framboos?

RobStagis

OK - Do I'm at the Beer and Wine MAkers' Warehous on Murphy Road in Hartford, CT today. The SO knows I wanna make some lambic, and I'm girding my loins for a brewing battle. You know, finding the right yeasts, buying (or planning to buy) a gazillion pounds of raspberries or cherries, etc... And she finds a kit named Framboos. Has anybody tried this yet? It looks like hopped malt syrup and raspberry juice.....is it a shortcut to something approaching lambic? Thanks in advance - Rob

To paraphrase: There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about with food.

Don't know anything about that kit specifically, but you can be sure that the Belgians making their excellent lambics don't use kits. Go all-grain (including wheat), with the right yeast, and the gazillion pounds of raspberries ... then invite me over.

there are no shortcuts and it won't be a true lambic-a good approximation though if you do it right ;).

Pick up a copy of Classic Beer Style Series #3 Lambic, by Guinard and go from there(not sure if still in print). You will have to mash to do it right-with wheat in your grain bill. keep the stuff away from your other brew too to avoid cross contamination. You will need to innoculate with some nasty critters to effect the flavor profile.

I've got a framboise i forgot about in the garage i need to blend ...:).

hth, danny

I know the Belgians don't use kits, but being lazy and curious, I was just wonderin', y'know? Thanks for the tip about separatin' it from my other batches. I haven't gone all-grain yet - I've started collecting gear, though. Soon.......

To paraphrase: There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about with food.