• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pike and Carp

EllenC

There are 2 types of Fish indigenous to your Boise that are caught in the Streams and Lakes that are equal or better then Carp and Pike.

Whitefish and Squawfish are able to be combined and substituted in most European Recipes. There are also Carp available in most of Idaho. It used to be regularly sent into Boise from Moses Lake in Western Washington.

Carp, Walleye, Perch and Whitefish may also be ordered and send directly to you from Mutual Fish in Seattle, Wa.

Curious what recipe your going to be preparing?

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Thank you Melissa it comes from having to substitute varieties of different types of Fish in Hong Kong, Honolulu and many other locations adapting Menus to achieve similar, better or equal tastes for recipes.

Another fish also available in Idaho that I overlooked was the, "Chub".

Did you add the, "Yaser koach" because you also thought of "Gefelte Fish" ?

You would have enjoyed the expression on the face of the Austrian Ambassador when I had the Chef present him with the live Carp for his approval prior to preparing it for a dish in his honor.

What made it really amusing was that he thanked his host for going to the trouble of importing live such a wonderful Fish from Europe in his honor. [it came live from a Fish Pond 10 minutes away from the Hotel] This was in Indonesia where Carp is traditionally served live.

Irwin :rolleyes:

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.