• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chirimen-jako/shirasu

prasantrin

Pate? Sounds different.

It isn't really a pate, but in the Philippines they call it "pate". It's more like a dip (but not really a dip, either).

From http://bucaio.blogspot.com/2005/09/blog-party-tiki.html , you cook some garlic and ginger in a little vinegar (Filipino coconut vinegar, preferably), then you add the chirimen. Cook them for a bit, then put in a container and top with olive oil. It's really very delicious, but the woman I met in the Philippines who makes it says the chirimen ("dulong") have to be very very fresh--practically translucent.

Here's a picture. In this version, the dulong is minced, but you can also find it served with whole dulong. At this party we went to, they had this dulong pate and a duck and chicken liver pate as appetizers. The duck and chicken liver pate was amazing, but everyone raved about the dulong. Apparently it's difficult to get good really fresh dulong, so it's extra special when it's served to you.

I'll keep an eye out for the chirimen in January. I wonder if I'll have better luck if I go out to Nishinomiya port to the fish wholesalers. It might be an interesting trip!

2009-03-29 010.JPG