• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gobo

robert brown

En route to buying two artichoke vinaigrettes at Lorenzo & Maria’s and a rotisserie chicken at Eli’s Manhattan, I saw on the NW corner of Third and 81st Street a new restaurant that had replaced one of these yuppie bar-restaurant places (Mad River Café, perhaps?) called Gobo. It bills itself as a Zen vegetarian. I looked at the menu they had posted on the exterior, and the offerings looked intriguing to me, if not leaning in places toward a bit convoluted. Among them were a salad of kale, seaweed, beets and candied walnut salad ($9.); steamed spinach dumplings ($5); a small plate (one of a dozen) of avocado tartare with wasabi lime sauce ($8.) and among 14 main courses butternut squash risotto with toasted almonds ($16). The interior was de rigueur Asian blonde. If I had wanted to cheat on my wife at 5:45 P.M., I could have been the restaurant’s first client ever. Instead I asked for a menu and who was behind the restaurant. The hostess told me that there was a Gobo on Sixth Ave. and 12th Street. If anyone has been to the original Gobo, what do you think of it? I imagine I will go to this one over the weekend and try to report back. The UES has some of the worst restaurants in town. Therefore I am hoping that this is a good, honest and interesting addition to the neighborhood

Despite my initial skepticism about the whole Zen-like scene and the "food for the five senses' tag line (give me a break!), I've eaten at the downtown Gobo several times and thoroughly enjoyed it every time. I went just this past Saturday with my friend who could not imagine a veggie/vegan place worth eating at .. but was convinced otherwise by our meal (although he was not as enthalled as our veggie dining partners). I particularly like the roti canai (ask for an extra piece of roti), veggies with pine nuts and lettuce wraps, and the grilled asparagus and musrooms. Im not a big fan of the dumplings or the sweet and sour soy nuggets. I also like the bread they serve with pumpkin spread at the beginning of the meal. I look forward to your report on the uptown branch!

Not sure if the Gobo uptown is connected with the one in the village. If so, it's owned by the same people who owned Zen Palate. I find them to be a bit in the Hangawi vain, some people really liked it, others, like me, find it a bit bland.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

It's actually the kids of the Zen Palate folks... I think mom and pop funded them to set up the first one, which has been doing pretty well... I also saw the UES location for the first time a couple days ago; I would imagine that since they were doing so well downtown, they wanted a piece of Candle Cafe's UES action, what with their newer location only a few blocks away.

I am hoping to write something about my dinner there last night. I'll try for tomorrow or Monday. All I found out about ownership was from one of the owners, a young Taiwanese fellow who came here when he was 4 years old. He owns the two places with his brother. They must be the sons of the Zen Palate people.